7735 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proof of arguments vs. use of CD/DVD for backup

CA1156095
Advisor

Proof of arguments vs. use of CD/DVD for backup

Hello,

I have problems convincing a colleague that his CD/DVD back ups are not the best way to maintain data integrity. As obvious as it may be for some of us, for some people it's not. This guy runs the systems department of a local newspaper - go figure. Are there any documents out there that Convincingly describe experiences, facts, reasons for moving from this kind of media towards tape? I have tried the capacity, but he just says he uses as many 4.7GB Dvd at $1.25 dls each - can't beat it with tapes' capacity for price. Tried "more secure media" was countered with "nothing ever has happened to my media"... and it goes on.
Thanks in advance // Arturo
I came, I saw, I clicked...
4 REPLIES 4
CA859951
Honored Contributor

Re: Proof of arguments vs. use of CD/DVD for backup

Well... the argument is good if he is only concerned with "data".
If he is involved with the restoration and/or desaster recovery of an O/S then he might be in trouble.
It will all depend on the software he is using to manage his backups. Some software can handle the use of DVD as the only media. Many vendors look at NAS as a first line of backup, then archive to DVD.

One of the best things I have seen in the way of streemlining the recovery process is OBDR:
http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/tapebackup/obdr.html
you just can't do that with other media types yet.
"Now is the only thing that's real!"
CA1156095
Advisor

Yes, the recovery is a good argument as well. This might help a bit as this is on the HP web site - info like this, published here or elsewhere is what I need. On the other hand, I would like to know if there are any kind of stats about risks of data loss from CD/DVD media - anyone?
CA393246
Advisor

What is he backing up?
What is the operating system?
What utility is he using to do the backups?
CA1156095
Advisor

He is manually backing up data bases from a W2K platform with standard CD/DVD burning software. Claims to be using 4 GB per large back up. So it fits ok in a DVD. Smaller back ups he uses only 500MB in CDs.

No system image or individual user information is being backed up.