1751975 Members
4504 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Quantum DLT4500

Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor

Quantum DLT4500

Company have a DLT4500 unit working like a single tape unit wasting the advantages of the use a Library solution. I don't have previous experience about Libraries usage and I want know if anybody can recommend me any site where to find useful information in this respect. At present we have HP-UX 11.0 64 installed and fbackup is the used way to do backups. Can the command fbackup use all the characteristics of a Library?
7 REPLIES 7
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Quantum DLT4500

Hi
fbackup and other OS backup commands (tar,cpio, dd for example) can only write to a tape device , there is no options for the library robotics. If you want to use such commands together with a library you must write your own scripts to handle the robotics. I think you should look at a "real" backup program (for example OmniBack) if you think about librarys.
Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor

Hi Leif,

I get it... ...Where is path on the host to reach the library commands? and in the case of them not be installed on the host, Where I can download or obtain these library commands and related info to try to do my own scripts?

Neither software/hardware library info are available at present for me.

regards
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi
This was a problem. I have a program called "uma" which can handle the library robotics but as this is a OmniBack utility (and as OmniBack is licensed) I think I do somthing wrong if I send this. I checked the HP freeware archive but could not find anything. Perhaps Quantum have a such tool. Or someone other know about this.
Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor

I'm agree, OmniBack is a licensed product and we have a license of use. Is possible to know where are installed by default on HP-UX the binaries files of the product? Any place to find related documentation about?
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

The uma utility you find in /opt/omni/lbin directory and "documentation" in the man pages for uma "man uma" on the OmniBack server.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> I have a program called "uma" which can handle the library robotics but as this is a OmniBack utility (and as OmniBack is licensed) I think I do somthing wrong if I send this. I checked the HP freeware archive but could not find anything. Perhaps Quantum have a such tool. Or someone other know about this.

An alternative to "uma" (and omniback) would be the "mc" command. This is a media changer manipulation utility. It is a complement to the "mt" magnetic tape utility.

Type "man mc" in hp-ux for more info.
The journey IS the reward.
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

If you can't spend the dollars on an omniback solution, then you should have a look at utilising the 'mc' command and 'fbackup' within scripts. As an example:

Use mc command to load the tape Run the backup using 'fbackup' Return the tape to the slot using the 'mc' command.

Make sure your server is set up with the appropriate kernel drivers and a special device that can drive the robotics.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?