1748180 Members
4140 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RH Linux 7 can't see tape drive....

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

RH Linux 7 can't see tape drive....

We have a Proliant 380R with a 12/24 DAT drive attached to SCSI 1 (internal) on the array controller. With RH Linux 7,
the OS cannot see the tape drive - device /dev/nst0 shows up as a disk device and the tape utilities report 'no such device'.
Interestingly, none of the system partition utilities can see the tape drive either, although it is detected at boot time by
the BIOS. This seems to be an OS issue as we have a virtually identical server running NT4 and we can use the tape
drive with no problem although, again, the Compaq utilities can't see it.

Any thoughts? Our only option at the moment seems to be to use an additional SCSI controller....

Thanks

Geoff Amabilino
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Have you tried backing something up using tar or dump?
Try this (as root):

"tar cvf /dev/st0 /root"

this should back up /root to the standard SCSI tape drive (/dev/nrst0 is used for nonrewinding tape devices).

You should also check out the "mt" utility.

P.S. Just for your information - I don't think you can mount a tape device.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Danial,

It is the 'dump' and 'mt' utilities that generate the 'no such device' errors.

Compaq tech support eventually said that we wouldn't be able to use the tape drive on the same controller as the raid array, so we have installed an additional SCSI controller (today) and we are working to get Linux to see the tape drive (which it still doesn't although Linux did detect the new SCSI adaptor). Watch this space...

Geoff
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Did you ever get it to work. I am having a similar problem with a 380g2 running Red Hat 7.2. RH doesn't see the hot swap tape drive. I tried adding another controller, and running a cable to the tape drive directly, and I got a bunch of SCSI ID errors, and then the system boots, but still no tape drive.

Has anyone gotten the hot swap 20/40 dat drive to work under RH7.2? ???????????