5593 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re : Tape Array 5300

Vincent_5
Super Advisor

Re : Tape Array 5300

Hi Guys,
Have anyone of you ever try to daisy chain 2 tape array 5300 together before. Can you please advice how can I do that??
The reason is, Initially I have a tape array 5300 with a half height (1 Bay ) DVD rom. I tested and install it and it works fine. Somehow or rather my sales bought a Ultrium 460 LTO full height ( 2 Bay ) tape drive. If I were to connect it alone without the DVD rom no problem. But whehn I connect it with daisy chain to the DVD Rom, it don't seems to want to detect the DVD rom drive. Even if I remove the tape drive and install only the DVD rom drive it cannot detect anymore. Can someone tell me if a half height dvd rom drive can be daisy chain to a full height tape drive. Please advice???

Regards
Vincent
nothing is better than to know more
2 REPLIES 2
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Re : Tape Array 5300

Hi Vincent, when you put them both in together do they by any chance both have the same address?, if so they need to be different. Normally an Ultrium in order to write at full speed would need to be on its own channel and put the DVD on to a separate channel.
Here is the link page for the product specs for your 5300

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/tapebackup/tapearrays/tapearray5300/index.html
cheers
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

Re: Re : Tape Array 5300

The other possibility is that the LTO drive has termination set. Try daisychaining the devices so that the DVD is ahead of the LTO, and confirm the termination for these devices.

To check further - are these the same type of SCSI devices? Check that the SCSI symbols are identical between them. I've seen HVD drives work on an LVD HBA (or maybe the other way around) but I'm sure it's not healthy. Any LVD signal would probably get lost with an HVD device on the same bus.
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.