StoreEver Tape Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-use tapes from DLT 40 to VS80 (erasing)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frank_53
Occasional Visitor

Re-use tapes from DLT 40 to VS80 (erasing)

I have DLT IV tapes (40-80GB) currently used with an HP DLT 40 and NT Backup. I wanted to re-use these on a VS80, using Retrospect Software. The unit only gives me "unrecognized format" when trying to erase these tapes. Any Ideas? Thanks for your help
4 REPLIES
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Re-use tapes from DLT 40 to VS80 (erasing)

Frank_53
Occasional Visitor

Hi Leif, thanks for your answer now "Tapes will be automatically recalibrated on subsequent reuse of the tape in the drive". Will this mean go thru the quick erase (remove header) and then eject and try to use the same tape? Thanks
David Ruska
Honored Contributor
Solution

I think there's some misconception on reusing DLT-written media.

Here's the best answer I've seen:

Question: Why will DLT1 not overwrite DLT 4000 format media unless I degauss* the media?

*= degaussing is a process of "randomizing" the magnetic particles (or dipoles) that are embedded in the media formulation - effectively restoring the media to a "virgin" state. Degaussing is also sometimes called bulk erasing.

Answer: DLT 4000 format written by DLT 4000/7000/8000 drives "saturates" the media magnetically more than the thin film/MR head used in DLT1. It is possible that in the course of overwriting, some of the residual DLT 4000 format will interfere with the new DLT1 format, causing higher error rates or inability to read the new DLT1 format.

Erasing a tape is not the same as degaussing as the format itself will still be resident on the tape.

The power needed to degauss a piece of media depends on the "coercivity" of the media (DLTtape IV tape media is rated at 1850 Oersteds). The degaussing equipment needs to have a coercivity rating of three times this value to operate effectively. Many manufacturers of degaussing equipment do not specify their Oersted rating but rather the types of media they are capable of degaussing.

One source of degaussing devices or services can be found at:
http://www.audiolabelectronics.com

The journey IS the reward.
Frank_53
Occasional Visitor

Hi Guys, thanks for your explanations. I guess now I understand. Probably best solution, buy new tapes...

Again thanks for you help...