5685 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re-using user-created Ultrium Firmware tapes

SOLVED
Go to solution
Damon Pullen

Re-using user-created Ultrium Firmware tapes

I've used HP L&TT to create a firmware upgrade tape and applied it to my tape drives. Now how do i re-use the tape for some other purpose. Whenever I place the tape in an ultrium drive it applies the firmware an ejects - not giving me the opportunity to reformat the tape.

2 REPLIES 2
Mirek_6
Solution

Re: Re-using user-created Ultrium Firmware tapes

Step1
Converting a Firmware tape to a data tape
partially insert the firmware upgrade
tape to the drive, but don├в t insert all the way!
Note: Inserting the tape fully will start the firmware upgrade process on
this drive!
Step2
From the LTT menu bar, select ├в Utility ├в > Run Script├в .
Using the Browse button, select ├в LTO_ fw_ 2_ data. ssc├в from the LTT scripts folder.
Step3
Run ├в LTO_ fw_ 2_ data. ssc├в by clicking on ├в Run Script├в . The cartridge will be loaded, but the tape is notthreaded.
Wait for the script to complete. The Cartridge Memory chip is re- programmed and a new checksum calculated.

If you immediately re- insert this cartridge into the same drive, the
drive will ├в remember├в this cartridge was a firmware cartridge and start a
firmware upgrade. You can avoid this by not re- inserting this cartridge
immediately, or put a different
Damon Pullen

Re: Re-using user-created Ultrium Firmware tapes

Thanks a heap. That worked fine :). But the procedure was slightly different - I suspect because we use Windows instead of Unix.

I needed to download the script (LTO_fw_2_data.ssc) and corresponding test(LTO_fw_2_data.tst) from the HP website (ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/information_storage/software/ltt/scripts) first. Once these were copied into the Windows LLT script directory a new option (Make normal LTO tapre from Frimware tape) appeared in the TESTS menu (not the script menu). The From there I followed the prompts.

Thanks again Miroslaw