Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
StoreEver Tape Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-using user-created Ultrium Firmware tapes

SOLVED
Go to solution
Damon Pullen
Occasional Visitor

Re-using user-created Ultrium Firmware tapes

I've used HP L&TT to create a firmware upgrade tape and applied it to my tape drives. Now how do i re-use the tape for some other purpose. Whenever I place the tape in an ultrium drive it applies the firmware an ejects - not giving me the opportunity to reformat the tape.

2 REPLIES
Mirek_6
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Re: Re-using user-created Ultrium Firmware tapes

Step1
Converting a Firmware tape to a data tape
partially insert the firmware upgrade
tape to the drive, but donâ t insert all the way!
Note: Inserting the tape fully will start the firmware upgrade process on
this drive!
Step2
From the LTT menu bar, select â Utility â > Run Scriptâ .
Using the Browse button, select â LTO_ fw_ 2_ data. sscâ from the LTT scripts folder.
Step3
Run â LTO_ fw_ 2_ data. sscâ by clicking on â Run Scriptâ . The cartridge will be loaded, but the tape is notthreaded.
Wait for the script to complete. The Cartridge Memory chip is re- programmed and a new checksum calculated.

If you immediately re- insert this cartridge into the same drive, the
drive will â rememberâ this cartridge was a firmware cartridge and start a
firmware upgrade. You can avoid this by not re- inserting this cartridge
immediately, or put a different
Damon Pullen
Occasional Visitor

Re: Re-using user-created Ultrium Firmware tapes

Thanks a heap. That worked fine :). But the procedure was slightly different - I suspect because we use Windows instead of Unix.

I needed to download the script (LTO_fw_2_data.ssc) and corresponding test(LTO_fw_2_data.tst) from the HP website (ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/information_storage/software/ltt/scripts) first. Once these were copied into the Windows LLT script directory a new option (Make normal LTO tapre from Frimware tape) appeared in the TESTS menu (not the script menu). The From there I followed the prompts.

Thanks again Miroslaw