New Discussion

Re: Remove 'old' tape libraries from Command View TL

SOLVED
Go to solution
Biite
Frequent Advisor

Remove 'old' tape libraries from Command View TL

Hi all,

Currently using CVTL 5.8 build 92 in which some of our libraries have been replaced by newer ones.

New libraries show up as expected (Managed) with current information.
Tried removing the old libraries by going to 'Actions' in CVTL and clicking 'Delete'. That made the old libraries show up as 'Not Managed', but it did not remove the old libraries from the CVTL GUI.

Checked the documentation, which says:
NOTE: After deleting the library, the library may still appear in the library list, if the Tape Assure data is available orthe LTT Service can recognize the library.

We're not using Tape Assure and the LTT Service cannot recognize the library (no access to it)

Any idea's??

Regards,
Martien

Regards,
Martien
8 REPLIES 8
Gans_Tapes
HPE Pro

Hello @Biite 

If those libraries are not managed by this workstation anymore. You may need to remove them from the CVTL main page  >> License summary page >> Select the licenses belonging to the libraries no longer managed by this CVTL server and remove the same. Refresh/relogin to Command View TL.  

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Biite
Frequent Advisor

Tried removing the license of one of the libraries and got the error "License cannot be removed whilst the library is in the Managed state. Please delete the library first."
The state of the library is definitely "Not Managed" though (double checked that).
So that library was not removed.

Tried the other library, license deletion succeeded, refreshed and logged in again. Still the library is visible in CVTL.

Regards,
Martien
Gans_Tapes
HPE Pro

@Biite  What type of libraries are being displayed as unmanaged? Are these ESL 322e / 712e  / ESL G3  or are they MSL's? If they are ESL/EML/ESLG3 , you may need to login to the management IP / Library IP and issue a 'clear station' command  as it clears any management station registered with the Interface Manager.  This is used to remove a library from its primary management station.  Do you have multiple management stations? Also, what version of Command View TL are you running? 

So to summarize:

1. Delete the library from CVTL managed libraries list. 

2. Remove the license if you don't intend to use the same workstation to manage the library. 

3.  Issue a 'clear station'  by logging in  to the Interface Manager of ESL-e / EML.  Restart the CVTL services and check if the library is detected. 

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Biite
Frequent Advisor

@Gans_Tapes:

• We're using MSL6480 libraries currently, old libraries which I'm trying to remove are no longer available
  • We only have one management station running CVTL
  • We're running version 5.8 build 92, which should be the latest as far as I can check.
  • It concerns 2 libraries.

I've followed you're procedure:

1. Delete library from managed list:
    Did that already. Both libraries show as State: Not Managed.
  2. Remove licenses::
    Licenses for only ONE of the old libraries cannot be removed, removal shows the error:
    Licence cannot be removed whilst the library is in the Managed state. Please delete the library first. 
    The license of the other library has been removed already, but that library still shows in the GUI.

Only thing that might be related: both NEW libraries got the SAME name and SAME IP as the old ones.

Regards,
Martien
Gans_Tapes
HPE Pro

@Biite 

Thank you for the update. I would suggest a case be opened to investigate the errors that you encounter when removing the older library license from CVTL. Additionally we have a new version of CVTL 5.9 Build 100 now available. 

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00104517en_us 

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Biite
Frequent Advisor

Installed CVTL 5.9 build 100, but it does not seem to help. Will log a case at HPE.

Regards,
Martien
Biite
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Seemed to be an issue with the underlying Postgress database.

A remove (including the database) and a reinstall of CVTL 5.9 build 100 worked. Be aware that you do have to save your config before removing the product (or else you will lose data like the licenses etc.)

Regards,
Martien
Gans_Tapes
HPE Pro

Hello Martien, 

Thank you for updating the solution. Glad to know a reinstall of CVTL worked. 

Regards,

Gans_Tapes

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo