108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Removing DLT8k from TL892DLX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rick Dyson
Valued Contributor

Removing DLT8k from TL892DLX

I have an old TL892DLX with 2 DLT8k drives (F/W v5.25). One of the drives appears to need some maint/refurb. I wanted to remove it from the library and send it away but have found that when I take out one of the drives (0 or 1), the library won't finish booting. I even made sure to leave one drive in position 0. So now I have both back in the unit and it is working with the drive I know worked OK before.

I don't have any manuals and I can't find any on-line from HP's StorageWorks, Retired Division. Does any one know if I have to change the front panel config BEFORE shutting down and removing the drive? If so, where should I look? I want to be able to use the library with just the one drive while the other is being repaired.

Thanks!
Rick
7 REPLIES 7
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Drive Caddy Assembly (Base Module Only) Removal and Replacement

The drive caddy assembly (Figure 6-5) is an enclosure that holds one or two DLT drives and their associated cabling. It includes the SCSI interface connectors and cables for the Base Module, the power cables for the drives, and communications cables from the drives to the controller PWB assembly. The drive caddy assembly must be removed to gain access to the DLT drives, the SCSI cabling, and the fan.

Removing the Drive Caddy Assembly

To remove the drive caddy assembly:
1. Remove the cover plate.
2. Disconnect the SCSI cable connectors (1) from the controller SCSI extension cable.
3. Disconnect the Y cable (2) from the power supply connector.
4. Disconnect the drive 1 and drive 2 (if present) RS-422 cables (3) at the drives. Remove the cables from under the cable clamps and lift them clear of the caddy.
5. Unscrew and remove two M4 x8 mm flathead Phillips screws (4) along the upper edge of
the drive caddy assembly.
6. Unscrew and remove two M4 extension screws (5) at the top of the assembly.

CAUTION: To avoid breaking the door levers when you lift the drive caddy assembly out of the chassis in the next step, take these precautions: When you begin to pull up on the caddy handle steady the assembly so it doesn├в t rock forward as it clears the platform. Also take care that you do not allow the door levers to touch the strut across the top of the chassis.

7. Lift the drive caddy assembly out of the chassis.
8. If necessary, remove the DLT drives (6) from the drive caddy assembly by removing four 6-32 screws (7) holding each drive at the top and bottom of the assemb
Rick Dyson
Valued Contributor

Thanks, but that is the mechanical removal (I have that under control and have already removed both and put them back a couple times).

What I am looking for is how to make the library accept the lack of Drive #1? If I just remove it, reassemble and power up, it just sits "waiting for Drive #1". I suspect I need to config the library BEFORE I remove the drive. I could not figure out what to do from the front panel menu items. I either missed the obvious or it just didn't click to me. :)

Note, I am not removing it and replacing it with a spare. Don't have one. I want to remove the "troublemaker" drive and send it away while still using the library and remaining drive for daily operations.

rick
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor
Solution

I think, this resolves your problem:

Reconfiguration Using the Escape Button

At power up, the MiniLibrary System recognizes if a previously configured drive unit has been removed or disconnected. It then halts the power├в up sequence, the drive fault LED lights, and the screen displays a message similar to the following:
Fault Code: 2072
Drive Powerup Error
Power Down. Wait 30
Date Time
If the drive was intentionally removed, pressing the Escape button lets you reconfigure the module to recognize the new condition and power up as normal. Follow this procedure:
1. Turn off the module power.
2. Press and hold the Escape button while turning on the unit power. All four control panel LEDs light.
3. When the four LEDs go out release the Escape button.
The module is reconfigured. The missing drive is no longer a recognized device in the configuration, but the rest of the module is fully functional.

regards,
Andr
Rick Dyson
Valued Contributor

Excellent! This does look like what I was looking for!

Do you have an electronic version of the manuals? Are they available somewhere? I have a couple of these family drives and an electonic version would be useful!

rick
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

I have hardcopy only.
I never see this manual on Internet.
Try ask Stephen Kebbell :))
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=680748
regards,
Andrzej
Rick Dyson
Valued Contributor

Then I really applaud your typing in both sections. I assumed you just cut and pasted them!!! That was a significant effort on your part!

Thanks!
rick
Rick Dyson
Valued Contributor

Got a copy! Thanks to all!