1753770 Members
5108 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Restore from Tape

Ken wanderer
Trusted Contributor

Restore from Tape

I have a 2 Sony Tape units, one for backing up and one for restoring (off site if needed). We span two disks (35G) to back up our data. I get about 3941Gbs on the first and about 15-20Gb's on the second. I use Veritas 10.1 on both machines and both are Windows 2003 servers and both HP machines with Sony tape units. I am able to backup the data but can not get the other unit to read or restore the data from the second disk.
I have a support contract but did not get a call back and have located the exact error in two locations on Nortons web site and have followed it through and it seems to work for the first tape but the second fails even tried another set of tapes and still same errors.
One error or failed states about existing media
not in database and to inventory and try again which I have done about 10 times since last Friday.
The second errors on inventory and mentions a ODBC error which I have no idea about.
I have turned off the services and moved the existing media database and tried over only to get the same result. I have gone through this all back in August and am really wondering WHY we bought Veritas except for the fact that I tried 3-4 other programs out there and they were WORSE!
Work Smarter Not Harder
3 REPLIES 3
Ken wanderer
Trusted Contributor

Re: Restore from Tape

I got a call back from Veritas today (1 day later not the 2 hours mentioned). I was advised to move the tapes from the media catalog and put them into the retirement folder and delete them and start over. I then will need to re inventory and catalog the tapes. I am doing so now and will know later today when it finishes cataloging (about a 5 hr process). I mention this in case anyone offers this idea or knows another solution before I am done trying what I was just told. Thanks in advance.
Work Smarter Not Harder
Ken wanderer
Trusted Contributor

Veritas vendor linked to my system and we tried moving the tape file to the retired media folder and deleted it, then ran an inventory on he tapes and tried yet another catalog, and 3+ hours later am getting the SAME error.
Work Smarter Not Harder
Ken wanderer
Trusted Contributor

Hello,
I hope someone out there knows the answer?
I had tech support from Veritas on the phone again and this time we wiped out the database, and after cataloging over night still no success. I still get the same error.

Is it possible to have two tapes and recover from them using this software?

Work Smarter Not Harder