StoreEver Tape Storage
1751953 Members
5079 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SATA vs SATA II

SATA vs SATA II

Hi all!
Is sata2 actually better in performance than sata1? What is the actual difference?
I mean SATA / IDE / SATA2 are the interface technology names. So it does not give me a clear picture...
4 REPLIES 4
PP BIJU KRISHNAN
Trusted Contributor

Hi Venkatesh,

With SATA-2 the data transfer speeds are almost double. But if u think u are getting a major price gain by buying SATA-1, then I would suggest u go for SATA-1.

A good read to understand the technology

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2454

A lot of other things will also determine the performance of your storage subsystem, like cache, RAID levels etc.

I hope that answers your question.

Regards,
PP BIJU KRISHNAN
YAQUB_1
Respected Contributor

Hi Prasanna,

SATA / IDE / SATA2 are the interface technology names. The interface only handles the data from the disc to the motherboard. The slowest thing is the HD its a mechanical thing the best go at maybe 70mbyte/sec ie 560mbits/sec all well within ATA100 (100mbytes/sec) let alone ata133 or SATA150. It is a bit like having a huge water tank feeding a long thin pipe to your tap you get a trickle (like Big disk/big cache on USB1) and the mains feed on a 22mm pipe keeps up easily. The other extreme is having a pipe 20foot in diameter to an equally big tap when the tank empties in milliseconds and you have to wait for the tank to fill from the mains via a 22mm pipe (SATAxx). In both cases the water main feeds at the same basic rate no matter what.

Hope this has been of some help to you.

Thanks--Yaqub
HP Support!!!
PP BIJU KRISHNAN
Trusted Contributor

prasanna,

Assign some points yaar to the answers. if u liked the answers that is.

no compulsion though, but gentle reminder.

Yes, the link was a good read, thank you.

@Yaqub, that was a real eye opener, Thanks much!