7988 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SCSI Tape: I/O Error During Close

Joe White
Frequent Advisor

SCSI Tape: I/O Error During Close

Hi,
I've inherited a 48AL autoloader (C1533) that's attached to a C class running HPUX 11.0. I'm trying to d a simple fbackup and get the 'SCSI Tape I/O error During Close' message in syslog. The autoloader itself flashes the amber light and 'clean me' every time I try the job. I cleaned the original drive several times and somewhere on hp docs saw it might be a bad tape drive. The drive was replaced but I get the same errors. Anyone have any suggestions?
5 REPLIES 5
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Joe,

You will probably need some scripts or commands to get the autoloader to correctly handle the tapes, especially with fbackup.

Do a search on

+fbackup +autoloader

Look for the use of "mc", and possibly some scripts people have posted.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Joe White
Frequent Advisor

I'll do the search but after inserting a tape in the drive and executing a simple tar it doesn't work.
Michael Lampi
Trusted Contributor

I would try replacing the tape cartridges with new ones. I would try some simple tape tests to see if the problem persists.

If the problem has not gone away I would replace the tape drive one more time. If that solves the problem then I would complain loudly that the first replacement was a bad drive.

Do you see any SCSI error messages on the system console?
A journey of 1000 steps ends in a mile.
Wayne Yu_1
Frequent Advisor

It almost definitely the tape is bad. Some brand tapes are easy to become bad. Try using totally new tapes to see if error persist.
Joe White
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have the tape drive replaced again and it works fine now.