New Discussion юеВ

Re: SCSI Tape drive being disconnected

SOLVED
Go to solution
Spike Burkhardt
Frequent Advisor

SCSI Tape drive being disconnected

All,

I have two DLT8000's where one is daisy chained to another. We want to disconnect them. I have replaced drives while the system has been up before but can I permanently disconnect them while the system is up?

Spike
Hey, I've got three teenage boys!
4 REPLIES 4
Steven R Koenig

If you are using Win2K you can go to the device(s) in Device Manager and unintall them.
Spike Burkhardt
Frequent Advisor

All,

As an update, the machine is HP9000, L1000 running HP-UX 11.0

Spike
Hey, I've got three teenage boys!
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Yes, you can, but:
- if there're another devices on the same SCSI bus their operation may be interrupted (for example, another tape drive's backup may and will fail) because of SCSI resets and bus being unterminated during disconnection;
- ioscan will report these tape devices as 'NO_HW' until you'll reboot server to force server to 'forget about them';
- you may need to remove tapes' device files if you will not be connecting drives to this bus with the same SCSI Ids in the future any more. Just not to mix these 'old' device files with another ('new') ones
Eugeny
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor
Solution

You should be able to disconnect these while the system is up. You may get SCSI resets sent to any other devices, which isn't pleasant if they're writing at the time (I/O error), but it shouldn't be a big deal to recover from this.

Depending on what kind of SCSI card you're using, I'd suggest that you connect a terminator at the point where the drives were removed, just to ensure that it doesn't screw up any other devices (if any) on that bus. I'd also remove the device files from /dev, just to ensure that there's no confusion. If you see these recreated, someone's tried to write to them. Alternatively, mark them read only and see who or what starts complaining that they're no longer accessible to avoid filling up the root filesystem.
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.