1754020 Members
7264 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SCSI cables

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

SCSI cables

I have a ADIC 9400 (20/40gb) external DLT tape drive on my ML370, which also has an internal drive array. I have 2 SCSI cables, one that works and one that doesn't. Both are SCSI3 to Centronics and have no distinguishing part numbers, etc on them. The one that works causes the light on the SCSI terminator to come on (and the drive works) while the other one makes the light flicker as it is being connected but goes out when the cable is seated. I have bought several cables that all act this way. I only have one that works. (That IS marked so I don't lose it!). I have also tried both cables on a different Compaq and tape drive with the same results. It is in the cable somewhere, I assume (ya, ya). On the ML370, when the bad cable is used, the system will not boot past the internal SCSI check.

When I 'pinned-out' the cables with a meter, the one that works has pins 13 and 38 (Centronics side) disconnected - no continuity. The one that doesn't work has connectivity on all pins.

Is there a special SCSI cable for the Compaq? Any other tests to do?

Any suggestions? Running out of cable money.

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

No "special" cables required... just good quality cables. Is there no brand name on that good cable (like "Belkin" or...)?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

No 'brand name' markings. They both have the same 'generic' info on the jacket, such as temperature, 'E2990', etc. Nothing on the hoods. The only difference is the pin connectivity. Do you know what the significance is of pins 13 and 38?

Thanks.