1753519 Members
6028 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SCUSI bus timeout

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

SCUSI bus timeout

I am using Backup Exec software for backup, and for a more one week now the backup takes long time to complete, and it stays active till I aport the backup job, then, I get a message saying, SCUSI bus timed out, and something about the controller.
Help.
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

SCSI bus timeouts can be caused by many different things, I would recommentd you go to Veritas support site at http://support.veritas.com/
and look for SCSI bus timeout, I beleive they have a document that leads you through troubleshooting steps.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

This may not help, but we are running 2 compaq 35/70 DLT arrays, off a two 64 bit/66 Mhz Dual channel Ultra3 Controllers, and saw tons of SCSI timeout errors. It turns out that the controller is too fast for the drives and is not as backwards compatible as it is written to be. Compaq said they are aware of this, and their recommenation was to go to a older (Out of Warranty) Dual Channel Wide Ultra SCSI 3 Controller.
We had already doone this, and all problems went away completely. Only problem is that to get the older controllers you have to buy them from the Out of Warranty sales Department. Now our One month old Proliant 8500 is relying on a SCSI card thats out of Waranty to do backups.
Good Job Compaq!!!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You can try updating the SCSI device driver , also update the System ROM of the Server . Contact Veritas for latest patches .

If still having the same problems , run the System Configuration Utility and change the speed of the controller to SCSI-1 .