StoreEver Tape Storage
1753501 Members
4695 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SDLT - Arcserve Media errors

Rob McCoy

SDLT - Arcserve Media errors

My problems sound very similar to the people having Tape problems in an earlier forum question. I use Arcserve 2000 with my SDLT MSL5026. I get frequent but inconsistent "Media Errors" in Arcserve.

I can find no hard evidence of a problem with the device but I have never had problems like this with other DLT technology. We also use Arcserve 2000 connected to a DLT without the issues.

I have the latest firmware. I have tried three different tape brands. I can't pin it down. Are others having similar problems?

Regards,
Rob McCoy
Materialists and madmen never have doubts. -Chesterton
5 REPLIES 5
Glenn Weavind_1
Frequent Advisor

Rob: You don't mention your version/build/patch level of Arcserve 2000.
Could you post a fragment of the Arcserve log along with what the intended operation was, please?
Have you raised this as a support call with CA - or do you suspect that this is partly hardware?
No cleaning light on the drive? Has it ever been cleaned with a SDLT cleaning tape (not the same as DLT cleaning tape)?
Jari Flyktman

Having same kind of problem with SDLT5026 and ArcServe2000. Like Rob, other DLT tape devices work fine with same configuration (Compaq Proliant DL380 with W2K SP3, DataRouter and MSL5026 + Compaq DLT 40/80). I'm also having latest firmwares in all devices. Changing media won't help, because for some reason Arcserve can't format those tapes -> result is unrecognized media. This kind of trouble started after tapedrive were changed to Compaq SLDT 110/220 because of other kind of troubles. Also others with MSL 5026 SLDT device have suffered similar problems with other backup software.
Jari Flyktman

Having same kind of problem with SDLT5026 and ArcServe2000. Like Rob, other DLT tape devices work fine with same configuration (Compaq Proliant DL380 with W2K SP3, DataRouter and MSL5026 + Compaq DLT 40/80). I'm also having latest firmwares in all devices. Changing media won't help, because for some reason Arcserve can't format those tapes -> result is unrecognized media. This kind of trouble started after tapedrive were changed to Compaq SLDT 110/220 because of other kind of troubles. Also others with MSL 5026 SLDT device have suffered similar problems with other backup software (HP), so it is not related to Arcserve.
Mark Marshalko
Occasional Contributor

I am having the exact same problems.

Has anyone found any answers. Everytime I call Compaq Support I go through the normal firmware, bios, patches,diags, etc. Nobody seems to have any answers.
Jari Flyktman

I'm having Arcserve 2000 version 7, build 1100. As I mentioned, I have downloaded and installed all the latest HP drivers and patches to SDLT 110/220 drive (3333) and library (4.14). Why I think this a hardware related problems is that after tape drive has format tape, it becomes unreadable. Arcserve regognize tapes before formatting and even after formatting if you read data (inventory) again -> tape is not formatted? I use only Compaq /HP SDLT 110/220 tapes and I have used genuine SDLT cleaning tape without any success. Changing tapes won't help.