1752790 Members
6037 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SDLT320 Drive Stuck tape.

Rob J Mack
Advisor

SDLT320 Drive Stuck tape.

Tape would not eject. Removed cover of drive and found takeup spool leader was not hooked into arm. Threaded leader back through guides and re-secured into end of arm, - if anyone has similar problems I can attach photos. Tape drive now works OK, but how do I know it won't happen again, and what caused it in the first place? Any thoughts?
5 REPLIES 5
BR842819

Normally this is caused by a faulty tape so check the tape and make sure that the ears (or part the leader grabs) are OK. It might be worth comparing it to a known good tape. If the tape is good the problem could be caused by a faulty tape motor. If you get any more problems we can help you and fix these drivs.
RLewis_1

We are having the same problem. The tape drive has worked fine for 3 years - tape got stuck - and after manually removing the tape the drive no longer functions. We bought a new tape drive and 2 weeks later same problem. Can anyone provide documentation on the proper way to remove the tape without damaging the actual tape drive?
BR842819

To the best of my knowledge their is no documentation to do this but after removing the tape you need to attach the leader correctly or the drive will not function. Im able to do this for you.
Siyad Makkar

Dear Mr.Rob,
I am having the same problem.Could you pls send me the photos.Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Siyad
Rob J Mack
Advisor

Well as you can see the problem has not reoccured. Luck? Anyway, I did throw away that particular tape cartridge. As far as photos, I will try to locate the drive and photograph the relevant parts. Have not had any tape problems since then.