1753448 Members
5847 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SQL2000SP4 backup : no tape device while NTBACKUP works properly

C.I.S
Frequent Advisor

SQL2000SP4 backup : no tape device while NTBACKUP works properly

I have an MSL6030 connected to a SAN. When trying to backup from SQL2000 enterprise manager, no tape drives are listed there while Ntbackup works normally. Please find attached the library configuration report.
2 REPLIES 2
Wei Jung
Trusted Contributor

Re: SQL2000SP4 backup : no tape device while NTBACKUP works properly

Well, there is something catchy here, NTBACKUP requires RSM to be enabled, since you told that it's working, I'll suppose you have it enabled.

But, any other application / backup software requires RSM to be disabled, due to the TUR function in Windows 2003. Please make sure you read this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842411/en-us
GJBR

Re: SQL2000SP4 backup : no tape device while NTBACKUP works properly

Hi ,
we had this problem with an IBM Ultra3580 tapedrive connected to an HPUltra320 HBA SCSI Card on a Proliant

It turned out that the IBM driver (on server2003 32bit) installed a differing registry key from what the SQL2000 enterprise manager was expecting to find as it scanned the registry for attached peripherals :

I used Regmon to determine that it was looking for a key 'Type= Tapeperipheral' in Local_machine/Hardware/Devicemap/Scsi..../Logical Unit ID 0 .
But the IBM driver installation had installed it as 'DeviceType=Tapeperipheral'

By changing the name of the key 'DeviceType 'to 'Type', SQL2000 enterprise manager was able to find the key and detect the tapedrive