New Discussion юеВ

Re: SSL1016 errors that are not posted in chart

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Stanley,

I'll guess that your screen shot is from the "*** soft queue***" section of the "view errors and history logs" on the Web Admin interface.

As mentioned earlier, soft errors do not require any customer intervention, and the presence of soft errors is normal.

Regarding the Quantum manual, it's certainly possible that they use the same error code set, although the firmware for the HP products is customized to our requirements.

It's possible that the recovery you noted for one of the errors in the Quantum manual applies only if it appears as a hard error.

We'll see what engineering has to say on the particular errors you highlighted.
The journey IS the reward.

I agree about the soft errors but if they do not mean anything then why alarm the end users?

My only concern is that they are not documented.

again my best/
stan

David,

It now appears that we are seeing the errors on a completely different unit.

we tried new and old tapes and it appears that the errors might be logged when the media is loaded or unloaded..

have you heard from your friends in Engineering as yet??

Stan
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Stanley, yes I did get some responses from engineering.

I'll summarize:

Soft errors (aka "soft queue" events in the web interface history logs) are normal. These are logged by the firmware as a means of providing history, should it be useful by engineering in analysis of unusual hard errors. These "soft queue" events could be something like "no tape detected in slot" or "could not read bar code" during an inventory, and these would be expected errors if the particular slot was empty or the particular tape did not have a bar code.

Because these events can be normal, they are not documented to the end user. Only hard errors should be a concern.

The two particular error codes you asked about have no specific meaning without providing the firmware team with the whole context of events, and unless you are getting a hard error, there is no value in looking at them.

Sorry the documentation doesn't make it clear on the purpose of the "soft queue" history entries.
The journey IS the reward.

My many thanks.

It was a real pleasure working working with you.

stan