cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM - What's This Telling Me?

Scott Buckingham
Regular Advisor

STM - What's This Telling Me?

I can no longer perform backups (tar, fbackup, Omniback) to our /dev/rmt/3m autochanger tape device. ioscan shows that it is claimed but whenever I try to access it, I receive an IO error or 'the device is not valid for backup' message. Using STM's logtool utility, I see there are some errors, but I don't know how to interpret the results. I'm also not sure if 10/4/8 is the controller or the cable. Can someone explain what I'm seeing? By the way, I should point out that I've replaced the entire unit, switched the unit from the left side of the bay to the right side, replaced the controller card and the SCSI cable all within the past month.

Thank you.
Long time dabbler, first time Admin / DBA
3 REPLIES
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor

Re: STM - What's This Telling Me?

Hi,
I can only give some sugesstions:

Since you said you have tried replacing and changing everything,it's difficult to get through the problem so easily being remote.
Try downloading LTT for your respective O.S. and do a check of your drive.
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/specifications.html

BTW what is you autochanger library model ?
Do you get any error in syslog ?
Is there a library recalibrate or horizontal or vertical alignment options availabe in the library frontpanel ?

Rare case that internal library Backplane should go bad but even then i will finally advise your support personal to take over as it seems to be a pure hardware problem.

Regards,

I'll sleep when i am dead.
Scott Buckingham
Regular Advisor

ltt has been downloaded and installed, now I just have to figure out how to use it! As far as answers to your questions, no, there is nothing in the syslog indicating any errors on the tape unit; the unit itself is an HP-C6367A (which holds 6 tapes) and there are no adjustments to be found on the front of the unit.

I should mention that last year, when I encountered problems with the original unit, I created a new device called /dev/autochanger. When I use Omniback's uma command, I am able to move tapes around while accessing that device name. But when I access it as /dev/rmt/3m, I get an IO error. fbackup and tar does not recognize the tape unit as /dev/autochanger so I can't use that as my backup device.
Long time dabbler, first time Admin / DBA
Ashwani Kashyap
Honored Contributor

Since you switched a lot of hardware around , it might be possible that some hardware id's might have changed .

Since you say you are still able to use the same device file /dev/autochager to laod tapes , that has not changed , but the tape drive id's might have changed .

Do an ioscan and see if you can find out new tape devices with differnet device names and then try to use those device names . You mught also find some unclaimed hardware which might be causing the problems .