1748227 Members
4437 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Screws for StorageWorks Ultrium 448 Internal Drive

PeterJ
Occasional Contributor

Screws for StorageWorks Ultrium 448 Internal Drive

I recently purchased a secondhand StorageWorks Ultrium 448 Internal Drive but didn't get any screws for fitting it to my server.

None of the standard screws for a hard drive/optical drive work correctly - they just keep turning. I think I need some torx screws but am not sure. It also has a warning label - "Only use mounting screws supplied with this product"

Anyone idea what type & size of screw is needed?

Thanks

Peter

5 REPLIES 5
thomasr
Respected Contributor

Re: Screws for StorageWorks Ultrium 448 Internal Drive

Torx is just the name of the star-shaped hole that many companies use because of their better strip and slip resistance.   Torx bolts are normally available in standard sizes.

That said, if I recall correctly, there was a kit with several size bolts in the LTO internal drives, depending on which server or enclosure you were using around it.  If you can tell me exactly what it's getting mounted in, I can probably tell you what you need (especially if it's an HP product).

--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
PeterJ
Occasional Contributor

Hi there

Thansk for the quick response.

The drive is going into a DELL PowerEdge 700 tower server.

thomasr
Respected Contributor

OK. I can't tell you precisely which ones you need then, but I will at least get you the size and thread pitch.
--
PeterJ
Occasional Contributor

Hi thomasr

Just wondering whether you had any luck finding the type of screw I should be using? Its just going into a standard slot in a tower server (DELL). I haven't had to use any special screws for any other drive I've installed in it.

Thanks

Peter

thomasr
Respected Contributor

I am sorry I let this slip!

I have been told that the bolts are M3 x 4mm -- metric size is probably why you had trouble

finding something that worked.

If you can't procure any locally, please send your US mail address to me at Thomas.Rush at HP.Com

and I'll send you a set.

--