108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Scripting LT&T to format multiple tapes in library

SOLVED
Go to solution
studerje
Advisor

Scripting LT&T to format multiple tapes in library

Hello, I have a Tape Library 2/20 C7200-8000. I have a significant number of DLT4 tapes that I must format.
I perform the format using HP Library & Tape Tools. I use the HP LT&T 'Move Media' tab to load a tape in each drive. Then, I use the 'Test' option with the test group of 'Read/Write Test' with the option setting for data to write set at '4000'.

Is there a way that I can script LT&T to load the tape, perform the test, eject the tape, and load the next, etc. without user intervention?

Any assistance that can be provided would be great. :)
-J.S.
6 REPLIES 6
Satish M.S.
Valued Contributor

Hello John:

As far as I know, I don't think there is a script to execute the above operation(s). I will try to find more info. on this.

Thanks

Satish
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

you may use any backup sw to do that, on the web there is a lot of those with a 2 month trial period
ex: Dataportector
Backupexec
Arcserve Brighstore

all have the possibility to select a pool of cartridge and to format them
studerje
Advisor

When LT&T actually starts the test on the tape, it prompts me with a 'Do you really want to do this' message. This happens for each drive. So, if I select multiple drives, I have to come back and check on it to click YES when it is ready to start the next drive.

If I could set it up so I don't get that prompt, that would save me a great deal of time too.

-J.S.
rariasn
Honored Contributor
Solution

DAT[1]=/dev/rmt/1mn
DAT[2]=/dev/rmt/2mn
DAT[3]=/dev/rmt/3mn

for DAT in ${DAT[@]}
do
echo $DAT
mt -t $DAT
dd if=/dev/null of=$DAT
mt -t $DAT rew
echo
done

rgs,

ran
studerje
Advisor

i should have mentioned that this library is attached to a windows 2003 server.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

There is no way to run L&TT from the command line with the current Windows version which would probably be what you would need to do for this operation.

There have been several requests for the ability to read logs, download firmware, or run tests from the command line so that functionality is in development but not yet available.