1753798 Members
7841 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Server hangs when reloading tapes in 20/40GB DLT Tape Library

Leslie Wong
Occasional Contributor

Server hangs when reloading tapes in 20/40GB DLT Tape Library

Whenever new tapes were reloaded, the server hangs during the inventory/initialising stage. What could cause the server to slow down or even halted. Is it due to the firmware not being the latest version? Please help.
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Re: Server hangs when reloading tapes in 20/40GB DLT Tape Library

Can you be more specific on the type of library (e.g. model)?

What kind of server?

I'll assume this is direct connect SCSI.
The journey IS the reward.
Leslie Wong
Occasional Contributor

This is a DLT 15 Cartridge Library Model 20/40. It runs on a Compaq Proliant 7000 server running Novell 5.x OS with ARCServe 6 as the backup application. Yes this is direct connect to the integrated external SCSI port. Hope this is sufficient for you.
If the tapes were loaded after office hours where traffics were low, then ok. Backups went on smoothly then. This is currently the workaround solution to tackle the problem.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

I'll assume this is the 15 slot library with 3 removable magazines, and it is the Compaq branded product (HP also sold a similar product).

It doesn't sound like something fixed in firmware, but if you want to check if you are on the latest, the versions of firmware released for the Compaq product were 4.04, 4.05, and 4.06 (latest). You can check this from the library front panel.
The journey IS the reward.
Leslie Wong
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. I'll check it out. I didn't expect the firmware to be the problem either. Maybe by installing the compaq library tools will help to troubleshoot where the problem lies. Anyway, I will be away for 2 weeks and will come back for the problem then.