1752681 Members
5238 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Server is Unable to Recognize the 3 Devices on SCSI channel 1

Sal Mistretta
Occasional Contributor

Server is Unable to Recognize the 3 Devices on SCSI channel 1

On bootup the server recognizes all five devices spanning the SCSI channels. The host adapter is an Adaptec 39160 dual channel card, using the adpt160m.ham driver.

Below is what I get on boot up which is correct.

ID0: 0 SDX-500C tape device
ID1: 1 SDX-500C tape device
ID6: 6 Scalar 1000 tape library arm
ID2: 2 SDX-500C tape device
ID3: 3 SDX-500C tape device

After the OS boots up, I am unable to see the 1st three devices. ID's 0, 1, 6. I invoke a list devices command out in the NetWare 5.0 console and only see the two tape drives on SCSI channel 2. ID's 2 and 3.

I've tried a different SCSI cable and did experiment with different IRQ levels.

This same exact setup did work fine on another file server. I was able to install the backup software and perform backup tests. The only difference is that the 39160 SCSI card was plugged into slot 5 on the working server and is plugged into slot 4 on the current non-working server.

I am unable to get that far with this server because of the devices that are not being recognized.

The OS is NetWare 5.0 using Arcserve 7 for NetWare. The server is an Proliant ML 370 G2.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
...Sal
2 REPLIES 2
Randy Weis
Frequent Advisor

The changer/arm should always be the lowest ID. On all of my libraries, a 9326d, a 9595s2, and 3 msl5000s, the scsi id of the arm is 0. That is Storageworks' recommendation.
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes. Oscar Wilde.
Sal Mistretta
Occasional Contributor

Randy,

The arm is an ADIC Scalar 1000 not a Storageworks unit. ADIC recommends that this particular library be set for ID6 in the SCSI chain.

I have resolved the problem. I changed the host adapter card into another slot. Deleted the ham driver and re-installed within the OS. Hard booted both devices to ensure connectivity. Thanks for your input.