5727 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setup Ultrium 460 on G4 DL380

Lloyd_15
Occasional Advisor

Setup Ultrium 460 on G4 DL380

Hi,

I have purchased a Ultrium 460 to backup the data on a G4 DL360. There must be something obvious I have missed here but when I to connect the drive to the server the server will not boot. I get an error "non systems disk"

Steps taken:
1. Shut down server
2. Connect the scsi in from the tape drive to the server (as shown in the manual)
3. Turn on server.

The server then tries to boot from all options (A:\, then USB, then CD, then HDD (non-system disk) then DHCP boot) after the server tries all of these options it then reboots itself and tries again.

The tape drive does not have a SCSI terminator connected. The manual states that you do not need one in this configuration (and non were supplied)

I have tried changing the SCSI ID but the same still happens.

Can anyone suggest things I have missed or can try.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Bostjan Kosi
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

just a comment on DL

NOTE: The HP ProLiant DL360 G4 does not offer an external SCSI port.

Where did you attach the tape drive to?

Is your DL360 a scsi or an Sata model?

If you provide Partnumbers ob both DL and Tape I can give you all the hints....

BR
B.
Nothing is impossible for those that don't have to do it themselves!
Lloyd_15
Occasional Advisor

My apologies. It is a G4 DL380.

Thanks,
Lloyd
Lloyd_15
Occasional Advisor

Can do part nubers first thing tomorrow morning.
Bostjan Kosi
Trusted Contributor

O ok...cen you still give me info on the ultrium used...PN preferable...External...autoloader....
Nothing is impossible for those that don't have to do it themselves!
Lloyd_15
Occasional Advisor

Sure

HP Storageworks Ultrium 460 LTo G2. External unit (I have a rack mountable unit to store 2 LTO tape drives but I am surrently trying to connect and use the unit externally)

MFG P/N: Q1520-6001
Replace with Spare P/N: Q1519-69201

Regulatory model: BRSLA-0206-AC

Does this help?
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

it could be that your internal disk cage is cabled for Duplex. The 6i controller has 2 channels, one of them internal only, the other one either internal or external. If the 2nd channel is also connected to the internal disk cage, then the external one will not work. See the DL380 G4 Server Reference and Troubleshooting Guide on how to set it up for Embedded Simplex SCSI Cabling.

http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00218203/c00218203.pdf

Regards,
Stephen
Lloyd_15
Occasional Advisor

That was the problem. The SCSI configuration was not at the right configuration. I changed the configuration to Embedded Simplex SCSI Cabling. The server booted straight away. I then loaded the backup software and everything worked fine.

Thanks for the help.