1751936 Members
4818 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Single or dual barcoded tapes?

Phil Peel
Occasional Contributor

Single or dual barcoded tapes?

We use several different operating platforms across our enterprise and the move to LTO2 has already been completed for our VME platform. The VME Tape subsystem is a STK L180 device using LTO1/2 tapes with standard EDP Single Barcode labels.

To support our HPUX platforms we are about to install some MSL6060 libraries. We have been informed by HP that we should use tapes with Dual barcode labels with these libraries, but for ease of operation and compatability we would obviously like to standardise.
The Question is:

If we install the MSL6060 libraries are we committed to using dual barcode labels as specified by HP?. or
Will the MSL6060s be able to use tapes with single bar code labels, as used by our STK L180 ?.

I was just wondering if anyone is or has used the songle barcodes with the msl libraries or specifically the MSL6060.

Thanks in anticipation
3 REPLIES 3
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Re: Single or dual barcoded tapes?

Phil Peel
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the link. This is the standard HP's response and the crux of the page is:

Other LTO label formats (with a single bar code) will not work in some HP tape libraries, or may cause interchange problems with other libraries.

So Hp are saying they don't support the single barcode labels with some libraries. But I can't get them to commit to which ones! So anyone who has an MSL, who has used single bar codes please let me know.

Phil
Wendy Anderson_1

Hi Phil,
My company prints custom barcode labels for tape libraries. I would be happy to send you samples of various LTO labels to test. We would be very interested to know if certain labels were interchangable.

Let me know if you would like samples to test. Here is a link to my contact page..

http://www.issidata.com/WhyBuy/SPG_Wendy.html