StoreEver Tape Storage
1752672 Members
5872 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: StorageWorks 1/8 G2 Autoloader - Error Code 98 63

John Bui

StorageWorks 1/8 G2 Autoloader - Error Code 98 63

Recently the OSD doesn't update the inventory properly, even after taking tapes out and moving them around or taking them all out completly then running the "Operations -> Perform Inventory", the Inventory status always shows (m-X-) for the left magazine, and (XXXX) for the right magazine.

I did a Wellness test and an error returned - "Robotic Failure - Error Code 98 63" , checked the HP troubleshooting guide and it says:

Code 98 - Cartridge present sensor not found
Subcode 63 - Error during second slider2 movement

My backups are now failing as it can't use the Autoloader properly.

Am using Firmware 2.50, will flash to latest (2.80?) to see if it helps (i doubt it).

Anyone know if/how i can fix this myself manually by opening the unit up or something like that?
4 REPLIES 4
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The cartridge present sensor is a little finger on the gripper assembly that gets depressed when there is a tape present. I haven't heard of problems with it but if your autoloader is out of warranty it couldn't hurt to take a look at it.

If you pull the cover off of the 1/8 you need to be careful that the autoloader is properly supported and don't move it more than you have to. The cover is part of the chassis alignment and is installed in a fixture holding the chassis perfectly square. I recommend supporting the autoloader on both sides under the magazines so that the bottom in the middle is barely touching the table.

When you remove the cover the gripper may be pulled back too far to see the sensor in which case you need to use gentle pressure to push it forward until you can see the sensor. The sensor is a little tiny button a little off center towards the bottom. If you look at the barcode on the top and are facing so the back of the picker is towards you the button is just a little left of center. If somehow that button got stuck in then the gripper would have difficulty detecting tapes.
John Bui

Thanks, i will give that a try and come back with an update, wish me luck! :D
John Bui

Ok, so i've opned the unit, that button seems to be working OK and wasn't "stuck" at all.

The 98 - 63 error has stopped occuring, but a new error keeps happening, error 8A 43 keeps occuring when i run the Wellness test.

I checked and from the Guided Troubleshooting page, it says:

"If with subcode 43, it COULD be the result of a misaligned magazine in combination with a failed sensor cable. Ensure that the magazine is fully and correctly inserted, and check if the library can detect when the magazine is removed."

I think it could be a failed sensor cable as the magazine seems to be aligned OK and is being detected when removed.

I also left the top of the unit off and ran the wellness test to see what it was doing, when i run it it tries to grab a tape from slot 4 and 7 from the right magazine and loads it into the tape drive, always the same slots. Wierd thing is that it will try to do fetch the tape and load it even if there isn't one in the slot. Is that normal?

Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The wellness test requires that a tape be in each of the 4 corner slots before it is started. Do you get errors even when a tape is in all the 4 corner slots?

If you continue to get intermittent errors a damaged cable is a possibility.