StoreEver Tape Storage
1752860 Members
3807 Online
108790 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

StorageWorks DAT 40x6 Firmware Upgrade FAILED!

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1120211
Advisor

StorageWorks DAT 40x6 Firmware Upgrade FAILED!

Trying to upgrade a brand new drive from H307 to latest H312 using L&TT. Program says upgrade is ready, but as soon as I say "OK" I get a message stating "Firmware Upgrade FAILED!" This message comes up immediately.

This is the second drive (first one didn't even get this far, it said no upgrade available), 3 different computers (1 Netware 6, 1 Win2K, 1 Win98), 2 different SCSI cables. Connected to an Adaptec AHA2940U2W, SCSI Bios is MultiLun enabled. Also, when L&TT loads, I get a message that says it was unable to identify all drives...there is only 1 drive in the autoloader library. Scan details shows "I/O Exception; Sense Key 5; Sense Code 0x2400; Invalid Field in CDB". Both drives have given this scan error.

Attached is a support ticket.

Please help!
34 REPLIES 34
CA628575
Trusted Contributor

Re: StorageWorks DAT 40x6 Firmware Upgrade FAILED!

Todd,

I'm interested in this. Could you also send a Tool Status Report and the EventLog*.ltt files from the logs folder of LTT to ltt_team@hp.com, please? We will analyze them.

Regards,
Jan
CA1120211
Advisor

Requested files are on the way via e-mail.

Thanks for your help!
Todd
CA1127120

I would be grateful to know if this was resolved as i have exactly the same problem. I am on to my second unit also.

A support case has been raised 1203993247 but no resolution has been found yet.

Thank you
CA1120211
Advisor

Graham,

A representative of the HP L&TT Team contacted me regarding this issue after seeing this thread. She has a request in to engineering in hopes of getting an answer. Unfortunately we don't have one yet.

The issue seems to be with the newer revisions of the firmware (in my case H307). Here's a clip of information that I've received from HP...

"What has changed in the firmware is that your device responds with two SCSI addresses. Target + Lun 0 responds as the drive, and Target + Lun 1 responds as the robotics. Traditionally the firmware allowed numerous commands to be received on Lun 1. This is no longer the case."

I'm getting errors from both L&TT and BackupExec. It is known to HP that L&TT no longer works properly with these drives because of this and we're assuming that the same issue is causing the BKUPEXEC problems as well. So far, I've not received any further info or help. We discussed backreving the firmware but, like I said. we are waiting on a response from HP engineering as to how we need to proceed.

I will post any further info as I receive it.
CA1127120

Thankyou for your reply. I will keep you informed if we get a resolution.

Graham
meloni
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I had a similar problem, the autoloader and the tape do not communicate each other, and with L&TT I got the same erro, no way to upgrade or downgrade FW.
I'm using Backp exec and was able to configure anyway the unit as an autoloader, I can put toghether the autoloader and the tape drive, and they work as usual.
the only actual problem is with the diagnostic tool (L&TT) hope this can help someone
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
CA1120211
Advisor

I too have Backup Exec (v9.0) but I cannot get it to work with this drive. Upon loading BKUPEXEC, I get a message stating the Multi-LUN support is not fully enabled. My current tape device is a 24x6 Autoloader and it's working fine so all my multi-LUN stuff is configured properly. So for now, I'm stuck with a new autoloader that I can't use.

Ugh!
CA1127120

I have now been informed that this is a firmware problem and my case has been elevated to the level 2 response team.
CA1127120

I have installed Veritas Backup Exec ver 9.1 rev 4691 this morning using the "keep drivers provided with tape unit" ie the HP drivers

This gave an error

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Removable Storage Service
Event Category: None
Event ID: 152
Date: 11/05/2004
Time: 08:42:45
User: N/A
Computer: GATEWAYSERVER
Description:
Error encountered when attempting to execute Media Label Library "BE". The DLL could not be loaded. Make sure the file exists and the path is correctly noted in the registry.
Data:
0000: 7e 00 00 00 ~...

I found an answer to this on the Veritas forum and cured it by putting ML_BE.DLL in the system 32 directory

Both Veritas & Removable Storage can now see the loader & library and a backup has been executed correctly.

The HP software still provides an error response - so i assume the problem is with HP's own software.