StoreEver Tape Storage
1748213 Members
3053 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

StorageWorks MSL 8096 HE: Unable to negotiate for NPIV. Library control path failover disabled.

aharris8
Occasional Visitor

StorageWorks MSL 8096 HE: Unable to negotiate for NPIV. Library control path failover disabled.

We are running a StorageWorks MSL 8096 for tape backups and we've recently received the error message detailed in the title. Warning trace here:

14.10.16 13:36:29.24  Libctrl task Error - HE: Unable to negotiate for NPIV. Library control path failover disabled.
     Return status: 0x80 - command failed
     Global error code: 0xEC - HE: Unable to negotiate for NPIV. Library control path failover disabled.
     Task originator: 0x00 - Libctrl task
     Extender library specifier: 0x00 - master library
     Source element type.: 0x04 - tape drive
     Element number: 0x04, 4
     Component ID type: 0x01 - drive serial number
     Component ID: HU1131HP4M
     Probably defective components: 0x01, 1
     Probably defective components: 0xFF, 255

I can't seem to find any concrete info on this error and how to bring it back to a normal use state. We, indeed, don't have Library control path failover enabled; as far as I'm aware that's intentional. Any suggestions why this error would turn up?

5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: StorageWorks MSL 8096 HE: Unable to negotiate for NPIV. Library control path failover disabled.

Are both FC cables connected to that drive? You only need 1. In drive config menu you can enable / disable this feature.

Path_failover.jpg

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
aharris8
Occasional Visitor

Re: StorageWorks MSL 8096 HE: Unable to negotiate for NPIV. Library control path failover disabled.

I think my firmware and configuration must be a different from the system in your screenshot, because I see something slightly different.

Ours is an MSL 8096 with an upper and lower library and 3 drives each, for a total of 6 LTO-5 FC drives. FWIW, each drive _does_ have a cable in it, but to my knowledge (and that is limited, as I inherited this system when I started here Oct 1) this problem manifested itself recently...in other words, the cables haven't changed, but suddenly this error has appeared.

Screenshots of what I'm seeing are attached. One of my drive config screen, one of my system config screen with the option to enable/disable failover (note that it is disabled at the moment).

Any idea why this would suddenly become an error, and any idea what the proper remediation is?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

What is the firmware version of the box? Should be 1130.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

aharris8
Occasional Visitor

1070 / 3.10e on the main library

8.10 / 3.10e on the lower library

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I would upgrade both library to the same and current version first.

When updating firmware for the extended library, select the file with _LX_ in the filename.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=3936284&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D1%257CswItem%253Dco_136690_1%257CswEnvOID%253D4064%257CitemLocale%253D%257CswLang%253D8%257Cmode%253D4%257Caction%253DdriverDocument&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.