1752705 Members
6350 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

StorageWorks SDLT 600 and Smart Array Controllers

CA1252103
Occasional Contributor

StorageWorks SDLT 600 and Smart Array Controllers

Hi Everyone. I'd like to know if anyone else is using a SDLT 600 internal drive on a smart array controller, and if so, which model? I have the drive installed in a ML370 G3 server, currently running on the on-board SCSI port. I have tried connecting the unit to a 641 and 6400 smart array controller but it simply does not work. The drive does not even get detected. It only works on the on-board SCSI port, and the backups are extremely slow. (I get 60GB in 5.5 hours. Can someone please offer me some help?
4 REPLIES 4
meloni
Honored Contributor

Re: StorageWorks SDLT 600 and Smart Array Controllers

For what I remember, the only array controller supporting tape drives are the 5i and may be the 6i, internal or pci HBA controller should be used.

see compatibility table:
http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/compatibility/tapebackup/ISS/index.html

---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
gringod
Respected Contributor

Marlon
AS far as I know you cannot put a back-up device on a RAID controller especialy a internal one, you might be able to use the external port for back-up devices.
RAID controller will only "detect" Logical drives not physical drives.
And these drives have to setup with RAID.
Even if you only use one drive you will have to setup RAID on that on drive.
If you want to use the internal Back-up device you will have to use standard SCSI ports.
If you want more speed you will have to add a SCSI PCI card with better specs, in the Server.
CA1252103
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the replies. HP does claim that tape drives are not supported on raid controllers. I have however been using a SDLT320 on a 6400 RAID controller for the past year and half, with no problems whatsoever. I have done numerous recoveries, also with no problems. Be that as it may, after consulting with our local HP support, they have informed me that my SDLT 600 drive is compatible with the 532 and 5302 array controllers. This is of course contradictory to official HP policy, and does not help me in any case, as I do not have access these specific controllers. I am going to test the tape drive on a standalone Adaptec U320 controller tonight, and we'll see what happens. Will post an update tomorrow.
CA1252103
Occasional Contributor

Just to let you guys know, running the tape on another PCI U320 SCSI card made no difference. I'm not sure how you are supposed to make this drive work, but I'll have to keep trying.