StoreEver Tape Storage
1753454 Members
6328 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

StorageWorks SDLT320 tape drive does not see cleaning tape(s).

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marc Labrosse

StorageWorks SDLT320 tape drive does not see cleaning tape(s).

Hello,

I am having a problem with one of my SDLT320 tape drives, when I insert a cleaning tape the device always shows "No Media" and I am unable to clean the drive.

I have called CA Support (running BrightStor 11.5 SP3) and after 2 hours on the phone with the tech he suggests I update the Firmware on the device. I have never done this before and I read in these forums that some devices stop working after upgrading the firmware...now is there a way I can backup the current device config\firmware so I can rollback if needed?

Does anyone have any suggestions other then updating the firmware\drivers for the device concerning my problem with not seeing cleaning tapes? I have tried 4 different cleaning tapes, all the right models, some new some old...still the same issue.

Thanks for any help!

Marc
3 REPLIES 3
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: StorageWorks SDLT320 tape drive does not see cleaning tape(s).

Hi Marc,

Yes I would update the FW too.
Its quite easy and although I've had a few fail before, the drives have still been useable.

Download a util called HP Library and Tapetools from here...(currently ver 4.6)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=406731&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=406729

Run it and let it find your drive, then click the Firware button at the top. (you might have to download the latest versions into the app.)

This will tell you the version you have now and the version you will update to.

Once its done, you'll need to reboot your server in order for it to 'see' the drive properly again...

I can help in greater detail if you get stuck, please ask...

Thanks
Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
Marc Labrosse

Mark,

Thank you so much for your reply, what a great response. I will be trying this shortly, if anything goes wrong I will post a new thread.

Thanks again,

Marc
Marc Labrosse

Closing thread after receiving great advice from Mark Matthews.

Marc