StoreEver Tape Storage
1752495 Members
5271 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: StorageWorks Ultrium 232 External Tape Drive

Henry Yeap

StorageWorks Ultrium 232 External Tape Drive

I am having problem using the LTO tape drive.
Data Backup Express and Windows Backup don't work either. From Device Manager, Windows detected the drive but under Library of Removable Storage, the LTO was disabled.

Event Viewer shown the below error:-
the driver detected a controller error on \device\scsi\symmpi2

Anyone can provide help to resolve this problem?
6 REPLIES 6
Henry Yeap

To add on...
The LTO is attached to HP Proliant DL380 running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.

I tried using LTT, LTT detected the drive but when I click on the drive, an error will pop up therefore I am unable to do further test or update the firmware.

Please HELP!!
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

Hi Henry. LTT is a good place to start as you can test the drive independent of backup apps etc.

This may be a cabling, HBA, termination issue. Have you checked all that? Make sure you've got a supported config at http://www.hp.com/go/connect.

What error do you get from LTT? You could attatch the EventLog.ltt file from the LTT directory for us to look at if you like.

Richard (LTT team).
It's more interesting when it's gone wrong
Henry Yeap

Hi Richard,

Attached files for your reference:-

error.png - error message on LTT

EventLog.ltt - log file from LTT

LTT_ToolStatus_2.txt - LTT reporting report

I will read thru the url you provided to understand about cabling, HBA and termination issues.
Khanna_2
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Check your cable and terminators.The other devices connected on the same scsi controller is working fine.Once we faced the same problem after changing the cable the issue was closed.

Khanna
Henry Yeap

Thanks to Richard and Khanna.
I managed to resolve the problem.
Credit to you guys!
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

We had a quick look at the EventLog and the drive appeared to be returned corrupted responses to the commands from LTT. That ties up with cabling and termination type isses, which I assume is what you found.

It's not a bad idea to pull a support ticket once in a while just to read the device analysis output (from drive health) as that will catch any occasional SCSI parity errors as well as anything else we can find wrong.

You can even use it to measure the quality of your backup - catridge->health->data on tape gives you a margin figure and one word summary.

Glad you're sorted.

Richard.
It's more interesting when it's gone wrong