New Discussion юеВ

Storageworks 1/8 Autoloader and RAID

SOLVED
Go to solution
mgais
Advisor

Storageworks 1/8 Autoloader and RAID

Hello,

I read that the autloader in the subject cannot work with RAID controller, as e.g. that one built in with Proliant DL380 G3.

However, is this a limitation only for the Ultrium tape version, or also for SDLT?
According to documentation, SDLT version of the Autoloader uses 2 SCSI IDs, i.e. the autoloader is using a separate ID instead of a LUN.

Is that correct and hence would it be possible to have the Autoloader fully working when e.g. plugged to a DL380 G3, or other RAID controller?
2 REPLIES 2
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Storageworks 1/8 Autoloader and RAID

The main issue is poor performance with backup speeds when connected to an Array Cotroller. In all cases, it is better to use a secondary SCSI adaptor where possible.

I have seen SDLT drives/autoloaders work on an Array Controller, they just perform really badly.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Storageworks 1/8 Autoloader and RAID

I can add that the raid controller do not support lun, so if the autoloader in question have a unique adress for controller and drive, only the first device wil be detected
secondly, Raid controller FW are optimized for disk, they also implement predictive failure routine, these tasks, when there is poor activity on the devices start request and check the time to answer, if the time to answer increase, they generate some kind of predictive failure or report this to the management agents. If you have a tape connected to the Raid controller, these kind of command may endup in porblems or unknow command sense code reported to the host