5152 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Storageworks msl2024

Lamel_KL
Occasional Contributor

Storageworks msl2024

Hello,

We recenlty bought used Storageworks msl2024 with LTO-4 drive (SCSI).

Also we have server HP DL580 G8 on which WS 2016 Std is running. Sadly we have only LSI20320IE as SCSI adapter and there is no WS 2016 drivers for it. Is there any chances to made this card work under WS 2016? Or we need to look for other one? If so which one?

And second thing is: what software we can use to management this Storageworks under WS? And if is, is there free version of it?

4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Sorry, but SCSI is last century.
I have seen SAS drives for the same price, you should try to get one - but it must be a MSL G3 drive.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

This might be a real challenge to make work and will almost certainly require some creative use of unsupported configurations if you can make it work.  As Torsten mentioned the recomendation from HPE would be to get a SAS drive for an MSL.

If there was a 2012 driver for the LSI card sometimes those will work with Server 2016,  It often requires forcing the driver to install which is risky but sometimes that is possible.  There can be incompatibilities where the driver mostly works but occasionally crashes the system.  I've run into a couple of those on Server 2016 with newer SAS and FC drivers, those were extremely unlikely corner cases but they cause me to be wary of Server 2012 drivers on Server 2016. 

LSI which is now part of Broadcom would be your best source for information on whether there is some way to get that controller working on Server 2012 and if there is a way to get it working on 2012 the same method may get the controller at least recognized by Server 2016.

The last OS where I tried getting parallel SCSI to work was Server 2008 with an ATTO controller.  The ATTO controllers were some of the last to support parallel SCSI but as far as I know Server 2008 was the end of the road for those.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Lamel_KL
Occasional Contributor

So its as bad as I thought ;/

Probably there is no new drivers than for WS 2008 for this controller. I will check in Broadcom.

And what about any free management system to monitor it under WS?

Lamel_KL
Occasional Contributor

As suggested earlier we are going to change it to SAS or FC. It will be clear in couple of days.

What is left is software to manage it under WS 2016. Do you know one? Prefer free one :)