StoreEver Tape Storage
1751954 Members
4783 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Storageworks ultrium 1/8 losing SCSI port

Matthieu Briottet

Storageworks ultrium 1/8 losing SCSI port

My brand new hp autoloader keeps losing its SCSI link causing the backup to fail.
HP hotline warned me about excessive temperature but neither cooler conditions nor
replacement helped.
The server we use is Dell Power Edge 300 with a AIC - 7892 U160/M adaptec scsi adapter. The backup software is CA Arcserve 2000 advanced edition.
Can anybody help?
3 REPLIES 3
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

loosing the scsi bus, probably you have scsi bus reset, errors in Event log? (W2k-NT?) check for cable, and terminator, loose connections and/or bent pins, check also with L&TT, Autoloader will record some event that can be collected by this tool.
Matthieu Briottet

I have updated the driver for the SCSI adapter and now it detects two devices on boot sequence :
HP autoldr and Ultrium SCSI

The problem still remains : the back-up is very slow (about 75 MB/minute) and crashes after a few minutes leaving a SCSI time out error in the NT system log.
HP hotline told me it could be a bad SCSI standard detection by the SCSI adapter so the autoloader is not properly fed. If that is correct and since I already have updated the drivers what can I do?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

>I have updated the driver for the SCSI adapter and now it detects two devices on boot sequence : HP autoldr and Ultrium SCSI
= I do not know any relation between boot sequence and drivers, if before, you did not see both devices, or your HBA was not set correctly, or you had bad connections (take in mind that the bad connection may also be inside of the box)
>The problem still remains : the back-up is very slow (about 75 MB/minute) and crashes after a few minutes leaving a SCSI time out error in the NT system log.
=Did you run read write test in L&TT, select in advanced function the time based test and run for 20 minuts, then check in the support ticket for errors and for performances.
Take in mind also that the HBA recommanded by hp for this autoloader is a 29160lp

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=lpg50063