New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sure Store 24e only 12 GB

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ingo Kaiser
Occasional Advisor

Sure Store 24e only 12 GB

I own a Sure Store 24e.

Backing up my System with the Windows Backup Programm, Tapes store only about 12,7 GB Data.
How to manage to get the whole 24 GB on a Tape?
Or is this normal?
Why is it named 24e?

Thanks for answers

P.S: Hardware Kompression is activated!
14 REPLIES 14
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Please note that you should activate compression only at one of: device (hardware compression) or in software. In addition, if you backing up already compressed data it will not be compressed any more and may cause even overhead (larger written data).
Native (with no compression, ratio 1:1) you have 12GB, but if assuming compression ratio is 2:1 then you have 24GB.
So if you have 12GB written this only means that data can not be compressed with ratio 2:1
Eugeny
Ingo Kaiser
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your answer, but only hardware compression is activated and I'm backing up data which is not already compressed (Compressing will be possible, for example with winzip its possible to compress the most of the data highly)
But the data is not compressed and I'm backing up the whole system. If no compression of 2:1 is possible also it has to be more then 12 GB, or?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

You can run a test with L&TT called conpression tes, this will write some well known data and check the compression ration reached.
If the result give you 2.1, them hardware compression is working on the dat.
What you reach then could be due or:
-uncompressable data (like mp3, jpg, mpg...)
-bad quality tape (you should found in diagnostic some errors logged)
- dat not in streaming mode, them space is lost, (you can see this in L&TT also)
-all or combinations of above causes

bye

marino
Ingo Kaiser
Occasional Advisor

Thank you very much, I'll try L&TT!
Is it possible to fix such problems using L&TT?
Is there any other possibiltiy if L&TT doesn't fix the problem?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

L&TT didnt fix the problem but can give some infos
Lena Starbird
Occasional Contributor

I have a customer that is using the same drive & isn't getting more than about 13GB on a tape with hardware compression. I saw another forum session that stated if you're getting 1:1.3, you're doing good. I get better compression with my software. Anyone have pros & cons to using software over hardware compression? Also, does anyone know the dips switch settings to enable/disable compression on this device?

Thanks!
Ingo Kaiser
Occasional Advisor

I've tested with L&TT, everything went fine, but can't find anything about compression!
What I'm doing wrong?

And so on I've got the same questions as Lena.

Thank you all!
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

in the L&TT there is a test called compression test, this will write on your tape and give you at the end a ratio, a normal ration for this known data is 2.1/1,
you can run also the media validation test which will check if you tape is good or poor.
if you generate a support ticket, loking in the errors logged you can check if you had in the past read/write problems.
if everithing is ok, then you can try to disable the hardware compression and try to use software compression.
in order to do this , you have to move some jumper on the DAT itself:

dip 1 /dip 2 / Data Compression /Controll Compression
ON / ON / ENABLE / HOST CONTROL
ON /OFF / ENABLE /NO HOST CONTROL
OFF/ ON / DISABLE/ HOST CONTROL
OFF/ OFF/ DISABLE/NO HOST CONTROL

put the dip 1 and to in off
Ingo Kaiser
Occasional Advisor

Thats a fantastic answer!

Sorry, for a little more question.

Which L&TT version do you use? I didn't find the compression test in version ltt_27_eur2.exe!

And my Sure Store is external, i have to open the drive?

Thank you very much!