StoreEver Tape Storage
1753432 Members
4663 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Sure Store DAT 40 locks server

David_389

Sure Store DAT 40 locks server

My company has a DAT 40 tape drive on a NT Server running exchange the problem that we are experiencing is that when we perform a backup of our exchange server it lockups up the entire server to the point that we have to do a cold boot. When we perform other types of backups the jobs fail and we get Doctor Watson errors. I've tried different backup softwares Backup Exec 9.0 and ARCserve 2000 both have the same results.

Thank,
David
4 REPLIES 4
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Re: Sure Store DAT 40 locks server

David,

It could be caused by your SCSI controller too. Download HP Storageworks Library and Tape Tools diagnostic from this site to test your drive. Please post additional information about your system as well.
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

David,
which SCSI controller do you use? Did you try recommended Adaptec 2940UW or 29160lp http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50063.html ?
Eugeny
David_389

We have a Generic Server with a 733 PIII Processor 133 front side bus and 512 in ram. The server is running Windows NT 4.0 SP 6a with Exchange 5.5 SP 4.0. The SCSI controll is a Adaptec controller but I'm not sure about the model.

Thanks
CA821585
Occasional Advisor

Try performing a backup to a different media such as a local hard drive. Backup exec 9.0 can do that. If it doesn't lock up then that will at least narrow down what the problem is.