4362 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SureStore 2/28 tape library

Asghar Ghori
Occasional Advisor

SureStore 2/28 tape library

Hi,

I have a 2/28 tape library (DLT4000) connected to C180 workstation running hpux 11i and omniback v4.1.
The robotic arm is working fine. The only problem with the tape library is that when I issue commands from omniback to do backups on one of the tape drives, the robotic arm loads a DLT IV tape in the drive and then just sits there and do nothing. I hear very low noise as if it is trying to do something. It does not do backups, in short.

Can someone help.
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

The drive might be having trouble calibrating the tape, or it may have a dropped leader.

Here's something on dropped leaders:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=lpg50027
As well as this:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=lpg50338

If it's not that, we can look at some other possibilities.
The journey IS the reward.
Asghar Ghori
Occasional Advisor

Thanks David,

I had two DLT 4 tapes in the library and just removed them to check. The cartridges are good. No damages whatsoever...

Any other suggestions.

Asghar
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Ashgar,

> I had two DLT 4 tapes in the library and just removed them to check. The cartridges are good. No damages whatsoever...

The drive may have dropped the leader from a previous tape. It could also have missed the BOT/EOT marker which can also drop the leader or unspool the leader.

What you need to check is that the drive leader is attached to the buckling arm. The documents referenced were written for standalone drives. For the library in question, there is no drive front panel. What you would need to do is remove the side panel and look into the drive with a flashlight. It should look like figure 5 (Tape leader and buckling arm) in the second document.

If the leaders are OK, then we would need to run some diagnostics to pull the drive error logs to see if they give any clue.
The journey IS the reward.