108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SureStore 20/40 DLT AutoLoader Drive Upgrade to 40/80 Issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brian Cannon
Occasional Visitor

SureStore 20/40 DLT AutoLoader Drive Upgrade to 40/80 Issue

The original 20/40 Drive keeps having issues such as the tape-load strip flying off the drive and into the DLT cartridge! So, I had an external 40/80 DLT drive. Pulled both out and they are VERY similar, especially in that all connectors are the same...

I swapped the Tape Carrier part of the drives as one has a door and the AutoLoader is open chamber. Everything went together perfect!

The issue I am having is that SureStore says it does not see the drive. Tried doing a reset to factory defauts, but nothing. I can go through the tests and it will pop and un-pop the drive door, so that part works. When I first turn it on, I hear the drive kick with the same noises as when it was in the external chassis.

I am VERY mechanical, so trust me, all connections have been verified and all parts are where they are supposed to be...

I am hoping to assume that the auto-loader would not care what size drive is in there.
3 REPLIES 3
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: SureStore 20/40 DLT AutoLoader Drive Upgrade to 40/80 Issue

hi
you do not explain which autoloader you are trying to upgrade, but in any case, the new drive you insert, should have the FW for autoloader, not the one for the stand-alone, may be this is the cause of your problem.
The drives for autoloaders/Library have some added functionalities that allow to communicate with the controller via internal bus, this is not implemented in the stand-alone FW
marino
Brian Cannon
Occasional Visitor

OK, that makes sense. I decided to make a go of this and downloaded the LTT Tool and AutoLoader firmware. It will not let me upgrade the firmware as it says it does not match.

Is there a way to override this and be able to put whatever firmware I want on the drive to convert it from StandAlone to AutoLoader? I have seen both drives and controller cards and they are identical! I have every connector needed. It has to be just a firmware issue, but I need to be able to overwrite the existing StandAlone firmware...
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

no no way to change the personality inthe fiels, this is set during manufacturing, so only with specific process this can be changed