3918 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SureStore 24x6e Problems

Rocky Pope
Occasional Advisor

SureStore 24x6e Problems

Hi,

I just picked up a Sure Store 24 x 6e changer on eBay. I have it connected to a Macintosh running Retrospect 5. The problem is that whenever I inventory the changer, I receive an "tape position lost error."

I have cleaned the drive numerous times with a cleaning cartridge that has many cleanings left, and was using brand new HP DDS-3 tapes.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks,

Rocky
9 REPLIES 9
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Rocky,
can you detect if it's tape drive error or robot's error? Does it occur when magazine/tape moves or when tape is in the drive? What are autoloader's error codes on the LCD?
We need to understand if it's hardware-related or software-related issue
Eugeny
Rocky Pope
Occasional Advisor

This has been happening after the last tape is inventoried. Additionally, when I attempt to start a backup, I receive the same error when it attempts to write to the tape, after formatting (I believe). While formatting the LCD shows "format" and "write 1.8" messages, so it appears to be writing to the tape.

I have been skipping to the next tape, just to try again. The it happens all over again.

I have cleaned the head with an HP cleaning cartridge, in fact, I have cleaned it approx. 8 - 10 times.

Do you have anything else for me to try?

Thanks,

Rocky
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Yes, I have.
Take a look at HP LTT http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html
I suggest you to connect your autoloader to host which runs LTT supported OS (for example, windows host) and try using autoloader (or at least its tape drive). Try backing up with ntbackup, testing robot and drive with LTT tests, generating support ticket and looking into it. LTT may recommend you to recalibrate drive's heads (it should be indicated in LTT support ticket for the autoloader)
Eugeny
Rocky Pope
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

That's exactly what I was doing. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks,

Rocky
Rocky Pope
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

It passed all the tests with exceptions. It mentioned that the drive may need calibration. I have been unsuccessful in running the calibration. It prompts me to load a new tape in slot 1 of a magazine, and then load the magazzine in the drive. At that point it times out looking for the magazine in the unit. It IS loaded.

Thanks for any assistance,

Rocky
Rocky Pope
Occasional Advisor

Hi again,

I was able to get the script to run, but it always terminated at more or less the same point, at 0xf, due to multiple read errors. I will provide you with the logfiles if you like.

The tests I ran using NTBACKUP.EXE weren't very promising either. With a full magazine, it seemed only to load between tapes 1 and 2, even though the magazine was full. That could be the Windows Removable Storage service at work.

Now the real question -- since when I bought this on eBay, I used PayPal, they had an optional money-back guarantee, which I purchased. Should I return this item or should I go further with this? I could always find another one. There are loads of these items arrearing in the Processor.com magazine. It's a shame, since the item seemed to be in very good condition. What would you do?

Thank for your advice,

Rocky
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

My opinion that if you want problem-free reliable data backup you would better buy new drive (or at least second hand from trusty user). New drive has 3-year HP warranty.
Why? You can not know about second hand (maybe third hand, who knows) drive how was it used - in which condition it worked, was it cared properly about etc. You know drive's head is a kind of 'consumer' product and if used incorrectly can be worn in very short time. You will not be able to see it 'visually' and drive logs provide insufficient information to make any conclusions
Eugeny
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

My opinion that if you want problem-free reliable data backup you would better buy new drive (or at least second hand from trusty user). New drive has 3-year HP warranty.
Why? You can not know about second hand (maybe third hand, who knows) drive how was it used - in which condition it worked, was it cared properly about etc. You know drive's head is a kind of 'consumer' product and if used incorrectly can be worn in very short time. You will not be able to see it 'visually' and drive logs provide insufficient information to make any conclusions
Eugeny
Rocky Pope
Occasional Advisor

Hi, sorry about my tardy reply. That's exactly what I 'm doing. I grabbed another one, this time it is fully guaranteed.

Thanks again,

Rocky