1752781 Members
6788 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SureStore 40x6 errors with Backup Exec

CA1103933
Occasional Contributor

SureStore 40x6 errors with Backup Exec

Lately, when backing up to hp dds-4 40GB cassettes (C5718A), we experience "0x17 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check)" errors. However, when using Sony dds-3 24GB cassettes, backups jobs run without errors.

We've cleaned the machine several times, and updated Backup Exec. Has anyone seen or heard of a problem like this?
8 REPLIES 8
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Re: SureStore 40x6 errors with Backup Exec

Ed,
download the Library and Tape tools diagnostic from this site and run the tests. The select the support option and get a support ticket which you can attach to your next post. Maybe we can figure out what is going on.
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
CA1034063
Frequent Advisor

Hi Ed,

I agree that you should do some harware diagnostic isolation for your dds box.
Also, have a look at this info. i've got from veritas and hope this can also help you to solve your problem.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192216.htm

Regards,
@@,
"You should be working"
CA1103933
Occasional Contributor

I got this after running Tape and Tools:

Product ID is 'C5713A'
Please update the firmware in your drive with the latest version
Please insert a cleaning cartridge 5 times in a row to ensure that the drive heads are clean
If your drive is still failing, please re-run device analysis
Firmware rev 'H910' is up-to-date for 'C5713A' as of Fri Oct 22 14:00:00 1999.
There were 10 rules checked.

I've never found updated firmware for this drive. I always find downloads for the H910 firmware.
CA1103933
Occasional Contributor

Anyone? Again, I don't think this is a firmware, or cleaning issue. I've cleaned it several times recently with new cleaning cartridges. Are there service centers where this can be fixed? It's too expensive to throw away.
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Ed,

Can you generate the LTT support ticket, and post the .ltt file here? That way we can look at the drive error logs in detail.
The journey IS the reward.
CA1103933
Occasional Contributor

just generated this support ticket
CA713937
Honored Contributor

I spoke to the script developer about the firmware update message (since you are already on the latest code). The purpose of the update is to clear the drive's fault logs, which are full. Since you already have a support ticket with the current fault log entries, I'd suggest doing the firmware update to clear the logs. Then the drive will capture any new faults relevant to the drive's current behavior.

It looks like you'be been using a lot of DDS3 tapes, along with DDS4 (about 1 DDS3 tape load for every 2 DDS4 tape). Using non-native tapes does accelerate head wear - the recommendation is to use only native tapes, other than an occasional restore from older media. The older format tapes are more abrasive to the head. I don't know if that's the cause of your errors.

Have you tried new DDS4 tapes?
The journey IS the reward.
CA1103933
Occasional Contributor

Well the drive chewed up every tape that was in slot 1 today. At this point I'd much rather have a professional look at it. Are there service centers that it can be taken to, or will it have to be sent in to HP?