5744 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SureStore DLT 4/40 got this problem frequently

Veron Le_1
Occasional Advisor

SureStore DLT 4/40 got this problem frequently

Hi,

I am using HP SureStore DLT 4/40 connecting to HP-UX 11.00.

This SureStore is running normally. But sometime, It got the error massage:"Cannot load exchanger media". Then, we must turn off and turn on the power of DLT. Then, It runs normally...

We dont know how is it happened? anh Why?
Could you explain this situation and any solution to avoid it in the future pls?

Appreciate all your help,
Veron
7 REPLIES 7
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
We have had this problem a few months ago.
We had to replace the complete tape changer because these were delivered with faults.
If you have a support contract ( i believe so ), call HP.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Veron Le_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I'd like to know the reason why it hapenned and the solution of this.

This is over the contract.

Any help plz
Veron
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
These delivery of pickers has some electro motor, that is not strong enough to transport tapes from certain positions to the tape drives.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Mihaita Bighiu
Advisor

How the library is connected to the Unix system ( direct connection via FC or SCSI, or you have a SAN env)?

Please check also the messages on the library display.

How often do you receive this error? Every day, every time you load/eject tapes, etc.

Regards,
MB
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Veron,

The best way for us to troubleshoot this is by having a support ticket generated for the library and drive. This will capture all the error logs.

Install HP Library & Tape Tools (www.hp.com/support/tapetools) for HP-UX, then run the tool, select the library, and then choose the "support" tool. From there, save a support ticket to a file, and then post the .ltt file here.

What version of library firmware are you running? There are a number of improvements for transport problems implemented in 1.60 firmware.
The journey IS the reward.
Veron Le_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

The library is connected to HP-UX system by FC.

I met this error for 3 times from implementation date, Sep2002. The latest date I met it was 3 months ago.

Cheers
Veron
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Your problems could be caused by a number of things:
1) Robotic problems (some may be fixed with latest firmare).
2) FC/SCSI bridge fimware problem (perhaps fixed in latest firmware)
3) FC/SAN communications errors
4) Interactions with "polling" applications.

Let's start by looking for evidence of problem 1). If you can install HP LTT and generate a support ticket, that will give us all the information from the library error logs. If we don't find problems there, we'll start looking elsewhere.
The journey IS the reward.