1748150 Members
3702 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SureStore DLT 418 upgrade ?

Scott_59
Frequent Advisor

SureStore DLT 418 upgrade ?

1) Is it possible to upgrade the DLT 4000 drive in this box to a DLT 8000?

2) Does HP offer an upgrade/trade-in "path" to acquire new equipment ?
4 REPLIES 4
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Re: SureStore DLT 418 upgrade ?

Hello,

The short answer is no, you cannot. The reason is that DLT4000 drives and DLT7000 drives are Single-Ended Fast-Narrow devices, whereas DLT8000 is a Fast-Wide LVD or HVD device. Internally, the 418 SCSI bus is SE FN. You could upgrade to DLT7000 I guess, I'm not certain.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

The drives in the 418/718/818 are not customer interchangable. While there is a DLT7000 SE drive available in the 718, it's not available as an upgradable part for a 418. The drive and autoloader are built and tested together, and repair is therefore done as a whole unit exchange.

HP does have a trade-in program: http://www.hp.tradeups.com/login/login.asp
The journey IS the reward.
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I have tried with no luck to exchange the DLT4000 in a Surestore 1/8 418 Autoloader with a DLT 8000.
Frustrated I reconfigured the (slow) DLT4000

Now I did find this thread:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=128012

This suspects, that it might be a problem directly connect those incompatible bus systems to a single controller.

Now will there be a chance that I can feed the DLT from the loader, if I connect drive and loader to diffrent SCSI-Controllers ?

Anyone through this already ?
Volker
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> Now will there be a chance that I can feed the DLT from the loader, if I connect drive and l (oader to diffrent SCSI-Controllers ?

Sure, the library doesn't know how the drive is connected. The only caveat is it won't let you set the same SCSI ID for the loader and the drive (because it assumes they are on the same bus).
The journey IS the reward.