108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SureStore DLT40 Tape Media Stuck Up in the Drive

Denis Dudhia
Occasional Contributor

SureStore DLT40 Tape Media Stuck Up in the Drive

Hi,

this is denis,

I have a HP NetServer 6000 server with Windows NT 4.0 installed. I inserted a DLT Tape Media for backup purposes, and the media got stucked up in the drive. I completely powered off (3-4 times) the system and powered on, but the media is not ejecting. The indicators on the side are continuously flashing. I tried restarting the system with the "unload" button held down.

reply as soon as possible,

thanks,
denis
hi
3 REPLIES 3
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Denis,
I'm sorry but looks like drive needs to be replaced. If you have warranty call HP, if not try pulling drive out of server and inspecting it through its plastic casing. Usually these problems are caused by dropped drive leader - you'll see that tape is in its casing but leader has gone into take-up reel. In this case drive's surely needs replacing, and tape shoud be thrown away.
But if you'll see that tape is on the take-up reel, then maybe drive firmware upgrade will help http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50128.html . I believe this utility can be used to force drive to do emergency eject of the tape.
Please pay attention to tape condition when inserting it in DLT drive. Tape in its casing should not be damaged otherwise dropped leader is imminent
Eugeny
Denis Dudhia
Occasional Contributor

hi,

thanks to u all for ur valued reply...

atlast i have to replace the drive and i took out the media as per instruction on the hp support site.

regards,
denis
hi