1752815 Members
6102 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SureStore E 10/180 - "Init Failed"

Jon Mattatall
Esteemed Contributor

SureStore E 10/180 - "Init Failed"

I KNEW I shouldn't have let the consultant split without getting the manuals........

I came in today on an unrelated matter, only to find that our OB3.5 backups (Oracle8 RMAN and filesystem) have all failed this weekend.

I had run a successful backup Fri at 16:00.
The next session at 22:00 failed at 22:18 with "Can not unload exchanger medium (Unknown device type specified.)"

The next scheduled b/u was at 23:00 Fri PM, and it and all subsequent sessions have failed with "Cannot open exchanger control device (Unit is not ready.)"

The FSC Log on the library shows -

3203 01 NONE
10/18/2002 22:40:45
3094 01 REACH
10/18/2002 22:40:37

So, the clocks are out of sync, but that should not blow things up.

I opened and closed the library to try and reset it -
3108 01 NONE
30AD 02 REACH
309E 25 NONE

and it went through Camera Calib
Hand Init
Init Failed

I cannot even access the menu, just the log.

Can I reboot the library from the OB cell server? Can I connect a serial console to it and do it from there? Does anyone know wtf has occurred here?

Lost in NB

Jon
A little knowledge is dangerous - none is absolutely terrifying!!!
12 REPLIES 12
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi
There is no function in OmniBack for rebooting a library.
Have you tried recycling power ?
Jon Mattatall
Esteemed Contributor

Love to....

The thing is, I cannot access the menu (assuming I could boot from there). If I flip the breakers on the PDU's, do I run the risk of the library losing it's happy little robot mind? Or is there some sort of minimal OS I can access through the SER1 or SER2 ports on the back?
Jon Mattatall
Esteemed Contributor

Found the .pdf manual, and re-initialized the library using the breakers in back....no difference, the Init still fails.

I hesitate to RESET the thing (I didn't set it up, so I'm not sure of all the settings).

I guess it's a call to HP Monday..........

Nuts.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Jon,
install HP Library and Tape Tools from http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50128.html .
As I see you have whole lib failed and non-funtioning now, so if powerrecycling library will keep it in failed state you'll not lose much... but if it'll recover...
Check SCSI cables, terminatiors, etc. Look through library door window to understand if there're no obstructions/stuck tapes.
BTW, could it be anything wrong with OS? Drivers? Device files for picker? (sorry do not know your OS).
Call HP experts
Eugeny
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi
It seems as the normal way to re-initialize this library is to recycle power. Check this link for manuals.
http://h200002.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg28357/lpg28357.pdf
Jon Mattatall
Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, I've located the manual and reset the power - no joy.

L&TT - I've asked, those above me have denied. There is no reason.

I believe I'll wait till Mon AM to "RESET" the thing, when I can get my HP guy out here, and talk to the fellow who set it up. I'm pretty sure it just wants SCSI ID and fastload on/off, but it would be career limiting to screw this up.....

Jon
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi Jon,

There should be no problem in either 'resetting' or 'power cycling' the unit. Sometimes these damn tape libraried 'just need it'. If it does not come up clean, then by all means get a HP CE on site to check out the "whole thing".

Get hold of the consultant, shake him around a bit and the manuals may just drop out of his pockets.....

Good luck
Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Xavier Gutierrez_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi, Jon.

Open the library's door and check whether the hand assy has a cartridge on it and, if this is the case, remove it. Check for cartridges inserted upside down also...

Regards.
Jon Mattatall
Esteemed Contributor

For future reference........

Contacted HP, and from the FSC error codes, they believe that the problem is with the actual hand/picker. It may be the motor or a board, they'll determine that onsite.

And an 309E error apparently means there's something stuck in the hand (a tape in this case), which was a result, not a cause, of the problem with the hand.

Jon