New Discussion юеВ

Re: SureStore E Tape Library 2/20 drive firmware update

SOLVED
Go to solution
Toulouse
Advisor

SureStore E Tape Library 2/20 drive firmware update

Hi everybody,

I need to upgrade the drive's (C7200-69202 TH8XG-HN) firmware but I don't know the exact procedure.
I have read that we can do this via a tape, network, LCD panel, LTT... but I don't know which one would work as we haven't got the library whith us, it's for a client.

Could someone send me this or explain me exactly what to do ?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

LTT will be the preferred method. You'll need to download the appropriate flavor of LTT and the applicable firmware files. LTT is available for most OS'. Install it on one of your client's servers that has direct SCSI connectivity to the tape library. If the firmware file you need isn't packaged with the LTT distribution for your client's OS simply put the file in the 'firmware' folder or subdirectory created when LTT gets installed. Once LTT is installed and has the correct firmware file in place, just start it, do an initial 'hardware' scan to discover all devices available to the server and then execute the firmware download procedure that's part of LTT. The exact details of how to get there depend on which OS your LTT is running on.
Satish M.S.
Valued Contributor

Dear Toulouse:

Adding to Mark's info, Library and Tape Tools can be downloaded from:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=406731&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=406729&prodTypeId=12169

Select the appropriate OS and download L&TT version 4.0.

Note:Before running L&TT, ensure all backup services/processess are stopped and Removable Storage Manager (RSM) is disabled and set to manual if you are using Windows.

Also, when upgrading/flashing the firmware do make sure that there is/are no tapes in the drive(s). The firmware upgrade should be carried out in the following sequence:-
1. Flash the firmware for the Library first
2. Flash the firmware for the tape drives.

Do let me know if this is helpful,

thanks,

Satish
Toulouse
Advisor

The point is that my client hasn't got LTT and didn't want to install it on a server.
I have heard that you can do this operation via a laptop.
But I only have a network plug on mine and no scsi.
Does LTT work via the network ? If I do a "scan" it didn't see anything.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor
Solution

The drives in that library (8K LVDS) do not support download from the libary controller so network download is not possible. You can only download via the network to LTO drives.

L&TT does not support network so it will not find any devices unless it is running on a server with SCSI connect.

As previously mentioned L&TT is the tool that should be used to update the firmware and it should be installed on a system with SCSI connectivity to the library.

If you absolutely can't use L&TT then you can create a firmware update tape for the drive and then use the library front panel to update the drive firmware. The recommended method for creating a firmware update tape again is L&TT selecting the drive and then running a "Firmware tape creator" test. If you have access to another DLT8K drive then you can use it to create your firmware update tape and send the tape to your customer.
Toulouse
Advisor

Thanks, I'll try with a tape and a firmware loaded on it.
Toulouse
Advisor

ok, the tape works fine on one of the drives and the Administration LCD Menu.....
There's now an other problem : I need to downgrade the second drive to the same firmware. It's 59, I know it's an old one, but the client wants to keep it because the Library is on 1600 firmware.
Satish M.S.
Valued Contributor

Hi:

If you want to downgrade firmware, then you will have to obtain a password override so that you can perform the operation. To get a password, you will have to call the HP Technical support team.

Thanks,
Satish
Toulouse
Advisor

I have this password....
My problem is that I can't install LTT on the local server and I can't access the library via network or rmc card to modify the drive's firmware.
The LTT Team has provided me a solution which is to boot LTT from a CD. I haven't try it, but I think it will work.

Thanks for all your answers
Toulouse
Advisor

I'll post a last message when I have tried the solution below.