4735 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SureStore E Tape Library 2/20 upgrade firmware fail

Hoang Minh Tuan
Regular Advisor

SureStore E Tape Library 2/20 upgrade firmware fail

Hi all,

We have as HP 2/20 DLT 8000 Tape library with 2 Quantum DLT 8000 LVD SCSI drives with firmware V015. Features of Tape Library:
Product ID: C7200-8000
Library firmware Rev.: 1140
Library Controller : C070
I get failure when I upgraded the library from 1140 to 1220 by LTT, STM and Web console tool.It terminated when downloading to controller and mesg like" Library Controller is in boot mode-please download code".
Have anyone give me the reason and can I upgrade drive firmware individually because as I know, it will mismatch between Library and Drive firmware.

Highly need your help and suggestion.
Tuan
Bus wait at bus station, Work wait at my work station
6 REPLIES 6
Hoang Chi Cong_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Tuan

fist, I have to say that: do not upgrade firmware with web console. Because the speed very slow!
The best way to upgrade the Lib firmware is by stm tool.
Did you try to reboot the library?
If did not, please try!
As I know the C7200 firmware revision now is 1600. And Library controller is C250, drive firmware is E36R.

You should download and upgrade to the lastes firmware version.

Goodluck to you.

Hoang Chi Cong
(From Viet Nam)
Looking for a special chance.......
Nguyen Anh Tien
Honored Contributor

1. As Cong saying, we do not recommend you uploading FW via Web.
You should post FW to server via FTP and then using stm tool to update.
2. I also attach Firmware Revision: E36R for driver.
HiPT in Hanoi is not so far to HP-Vietname, why don't you call for service?
HP is simple
Hoang Minh Tuan
Regular Advisor

Thanks Cong and Tien,

Of course, I used STM tool to upgrade FW but it's not succesful. I rebooted it serveral times but it 's not better.
As I know in HP forum, Library want to upgrade higher FW from 1140 must via a bridge is 1220, so I'm afraid it can't up to 1600 if dont via 1200.
In addition, FW for library is a bundle so that it include FW for drive(s) and controller. If I upgrade only FW for drive (not Library), I afraid it will mismatch between Library and Drive and the result is it 's not work properly.
Do you think so?
Finally, I searched in ITRC, may be the result of upgrade termination is Memory in Controller (at least 8MB of controller Mem.if you want to up a newest one) while my Library Mem. Controller is 4MB. Do you think it 's true.
If you can , I need your confirmation from this information and if it's true what part number of controller card of 8MB so I could order this from HP-Vietnam.
Highly appreciate your help,
Tuan
Nguyen Anh Tien
Honored Contributor

Tuan.
You can download driver from:
http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcomтМй=en&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_pagetype=s-002&h_query=HP+2%2F20+DLT+8000+&submit.x=7&submit.y=10

hope this help
regard
tienna
HP is simple
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

just a suggestion, try removing the remote interface form the library and to upgrade the firmware without that board in.
some time, this is the cause of unmatching firmware, and prevent the upgrade.
I suggest also to use L&TT, and eventualy to capture a sticket to attach here for analysis
Hoang Minh Tuan
Regular Advisor

Thanks to all your help, I sent LTT log to HP LTT team to analyze this situation because I tried all your suggestions but It 's still not changed yet.