1748011 Members
4694 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Surestore 12/24 ejects tapes

Isleifur Gislason

Surestore 12/24 ejects tapes

Hi

I??m having a problem with a Surestore 12/24 dat.
The problem is that after I put a tape in the drive it ejects in about 20-30 min.
There are no error reports.

I have used a cleaning tape many times.

I use Sony dds3 tapes.
6 REPLIES 6
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: Surestore 12/24 ejects tapes

I guess you meant 20-30 seconds? Please try with HP C5708A data tape. Install HP LTT from http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50128.html and check drive/update firmware. Please generate LTT support ticket and attach to your next reply
Eugeny
Olav Seyfarth
Occasional Advisor

Isleifur, what operation system and what backup software (any background agents?) do you encounter that problem with? Background: Did you mean minutes? Can you write to/read from the tape and it only gets ejected if you leave it (e.g. for a scheduled nightly backup)?

Eugeny, how woult I perform this without Windows? My C1537A is installed in a linux only box.
Never touch a running system -- why oh why can't I stick to it?
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Olav, unfortunately LTT now works only on windows and hpux. Scripts can be run on windows box only. So if you have Linux installed only way to get full LTT functionality is to connect DAT drive to box running windows
Eugeny
Isleifur Gislason

Hi

Thanks for the answers.
It's minutes not sec.

It turn out that my Surestore DAT24 is a Compaq SDT-9000!

Its a Compaq Proliant ML330 server with SBS NT4 SP6a, Arcserve 6.61.

I upgrate the firmware this morning and it does the same thing. Ejects the tape after 20-40 min.

The arcserve does not report any errors, because it's not active at that time.

regards
Isleifur

Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Report is very short, and I see that drive detected 6 uncorrectable (hard) read/write errors.
Situation is strange. I would recommend you:
- check OS for any services/applications running issuing resets (or other commands) to devices - this may be Toptools agent, Tape device manager etc;
- run 5 cleans of drive with NEW cleaning tape;
- try NEW data tape
and then look at results.
I would prefer item that you have software/service running polling drive and causing this issue. You may try to uninstall your backup application and try windows NT native backup. Try drive w/o host connected (disconnect it off the data cable) and see if it will eject tape. If not - be sure - something is coming through SCSI interface forcing drive to eject tape
Eugeny
Isleifur Gislason

I found the problem!

I don't know why I didn't see it before.

The solution was the eject button on the tape it self. It was stuck. It was just enough to make contact I guess.
I don't know why it ejected the tape 20-40 min after it was put in though.

Thanks for the help!