108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Surestore 15 slot DLT 4000

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Dilallo
Occasional Advisor

Surestore 15 slot DLT 4000

I am running 2000 server with Backup exec 9.1. I have a autoloader Surestore 15 slot DLT 4000. When I start Backup Exec I can not get it to list the library as a robotic library. I can see it in device manager with the DLT drive and the backup software does see it as well but it list's it under stane alone drives. I have tried the wizard device configeration but that did not work.

Thank you for reading
David
9 REPLIES 9
MWills
Valued Contributor

Re: Surestore 15 slot DLT 4000

what server and controller are you attaching this device to?
If the flop doesn't fit... go allin!!!
David Dilallo
Occasional Advisor

I am using a intel server and the controller is a adaptec 2940-UW. My DLT drive went dead and I changed it with another same model. I deleted the Robotic library and I can not get it back. I can see it in the HP surestore software. I have updated the firmware of both devices. I have tried to reload the drivers as well.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor
Solution

The picture you attached looks different from you description. The robotic library appears to be fine but BE is seeing the drive as standalone.

You said you replaced the drive. Does the library see the drive? Is the library able to load/unload media from the drive if you use the front panel?

If a standalone drive was put into the library the the library would not be able to get the drive information and report it. If the library doesn't report the drive then BE can't associate the drive with the library.

It's also possible that BE will require you to remove the library as well as the drives and reconfigure.

You can run HP StorageWorks Library and TapeTools (http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools) and see if it is able to associate the drive with the library. If L&TT can associate the drive with the library then the SCSI responses are correct.
David Dilallo
Occasional Advisor

Yes the Library does see the drive. I can load and unload the DLT drive in the library from the front panel. It pass all the tests as well. It is not a stand alone drive that I replaced the defective drive with. It is the same model and type as the old one. I did remove the libray and the drive for Backup Exec 9.1. I did run the HP storageworks software and it does see the library and the DLT drive. Yes the SCSI responce is correct. Any other things I can try??? Need help bad.

Thank you in advance David
David Dilallo
Occasional Advisor

Here is a screen shot of Storageworks. This is what shows up.
David Dilallo
Occasional Advisor

Now when I go into BE and I try to load the drivers for the library and DLT drive it gives me a failure to load driver. Look at the screen shot to help out please.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

It looks like the drive/library configuration is all correct. The library has to be reporting the drive information correctly or L&TT wouldn't have been able to associate the drive and library.

At this point it looks like BE is somehow remembering old information instead of rediscovering the devices.

I did a little work with BE once in the past and as I recall it required a server reboot after every device configurations change. I assume you have tried that although I don't see it mentioned in your message.

After a reboot all I could think of to try would be installing or reinstalling the latest driver pack from Veritas. As I recall that would update the drivers for everything on the system whether BE saw them or not.
meloni
Honored Contributor

may be this will help:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/254154.htm

marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
David Dilallo
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for replying. I fixed the problem. I reinstalled the drivers and did a reboot and BE finally piked up the Library & the DLT.

Thank you very much.

David