StoreEver Tape Storage
1748176 Members
4283 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Surestore 2/20 new drive problems

Anthony Stewart_1

Surestore 2/20 new drive problems

We've been running our 2/20 with twin LTO-1 drives for about 4 years. One of the drives has completely died (servo's had it, I think). So I removed the old drive (must admit I forgot to take it "offline" in the menu first), and thinking myself very clever purchased a new Surestore 460 LTO-2 drive to replace it. After all, I figured, they are backwards compatible with LTO-1, and it was only slightly more expensive than replacing with an LTO-1 unit.

I removed the drive module, and removed the dead 230 and replaced it with the new 460 and reassembled. But now the library says it is only "partly" available, due to a firmware mismatch. And in Library & Tape Tools, the new drive is "seen" as a seperate drive, not as part of the library, and is complaining that it can't find the original drive.
Library is at Rev. 1720
Detailed Drive Information
Drive 1
Type: Ultrium 1-SCSI
Serial Number: IE71G01459
Firmware Revision: E3BR
Activity: Idle
Cleaning Status: Ok
SCSI ID: 1

Drive 2
Type: Ultrium 1-SCSI
Serial Number:
Firmware Revision:
Activity: Idle
Cleaning Status: Ok
SCSI ID: 2

Notice how Drive 2 is reported as LTO-1 when it is an LTO-2 drive.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should try next?
I tried updating the firmware on the new drive in Tape Tools, but it complains about the "wrong personality". I'm beginning to think I have the wrong sort of drive...

Kind regards

Anthony
4 REPLIES 4
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Anthony,

I don't know where you get this info, but I think that only LTO-1 is supported in Surestore 2/20

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg28861/lpg28861.pdf
jon_212

I have been looking for the E2BR firmware. Could you send it to me?
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Anthony

Please refer to following thread with similar issue:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=222363

Regards
Mahesh
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Anthony, in my opinion, it will never work:
-the firware upgrade is showing "wrong personality" because you took a generic drive and put it in a canister for a library, the firmware is not compatible as the drive for the library implement communication in the internal bus with the lib controller. Changing the personality is not a field option.
-the Galactica never support LT02, and this may cause problem in the scsi chain (cable/terminator) and the controller will not be able to recognize the LTO2 as LTO2